Gun shop inventories changing

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by GunnyGene, Nov 12, 2012.

1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Stopped by the local gunshop today to pick up some ammo and browse for bit. I noticed that the on-the-rack inventory ratio of pure hunting guns to black guns ( including hi-cap shotguns like the Mossberg 590's ) has shifted significantly in favor of the black guns in the last month or so. Several other customers were in line at the check stand and not one was buying a traditional hunting gun while I was there. I have a pretty good idea why, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this in your area's? :)
  2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Ditto here in Sitka. Local gun shop even had an Uzi carbine, and what at a quick glance (wasn't interested in buying it) appeared to be a MAC-10 pistol in the showcase. Haven't seen examples of either in a while now, and suspect they'd been traded in on 5.56mm black guns of some sort.
  3. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Sitka, huh? I spent 2 years on Adak as a young man (13 when Dad got stationed there). 1957 - '59.
  4. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Used to have an Uzi - I miss it :(
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sportsman's Warehouse, Sunday at around 3:00pm, 5 gun salesman working, 5 people buying semi-auto's. 30 minutes later, same 5 salesman selling 5 more people. This time 2 semi auto's and one Taurus. I am not sure what the other two people were buying. Then one extra salesman came to the counter and I was able to check some guns out. I said, "Looks like your moving some guns." He was so over whelmed he could only shake his head and close his eyes. He said they had been selling guns non-stop.

Went to a local gunshop today at about 12:30pm, 7 salesman all busy showing guns. Same with the Garden City shop. Pawn shops aren't moving much but they are high on their prices overall.
  6. tango1niner

tango1niner Member

......a gun behind every blade of grass !
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I like that idea.:D
  8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

yep.. mostly black guns here too.

even at the shows. hard to find a wood stock anymore.. all the handguns are the black guns.. all the bolt guns are zytel stock.. and ar's are everywhere.. plus the ak build up guns.
  9. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time I saw someone buy a traditional style hunting rifle. It seems all they sell is the black ones. That goes for the three stores I frequent, even the local Bass Pro seems that way.
  10. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

Even the Walmart near me has gone from one AR to a whole rack of them since the end of October. They have an entire shelf of .223 ammo too.
  11. twobit

twobit Active Member

Hunting from year to year does not surge up and down like politics does or the threat politics has on the right to have certain types of guns. So we see a huge surge in the sales of those guns now being threatened by those in Washington.

I think one small contributing factor on the decline of the sale of traditional hunting rifles is that they no longer are made with the beautiful REAL walnut stocks like they used to be. I'm happy that all my hunting rifles and shotguns are old enough that they all have the old beautiful real American Walnut stocks and are each a work of art, and not just a piece of machinery. Many people born after the sixties never had the opportunity to be able to buy an inexpensive nice new walnut stocked hunting rifle made by real craftsmen from a time when the firearm factories were staffed by people that could each be called a gunsmith. They are not the generation that sees value in items made so well that they will last more than their lifetime and should be treated as such. I would guess that most people born after the sixties rarely keep any firearm more than ten years before selling it.

My best guns are also my oldest guns. I've got my great, great grandfather's 92 Winchester that still shoots fine, and many of my dad's rifles that were bought in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Most are fine Remingtons and Winchesters that were bought on a common working man's salary.

Show me a AK, an AR or other similar firearm that will be cherished and passed down when it is 118 years old like my model 92 is. I also have an AR, but it is just a tool. It is the Honda Accord of guns where my others are my classic cars. Will an AR ever be prized like a Garand is? You could ask if an Accord will ever be prized like a Hemi Cuda from the sixties...

Of course the big contributing factor is the fear that soon heavy restrictions will be placed on firearms sales and it is a 'buy it while you still can' panic.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  12. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Perhaps an indicator of things to come?