Gun Show Disappointment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 45Smashemflat, Apr 3, 2004.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Doncha hate it when you drive 40 minutes to go to a show, pay your five bucks to get in the door, and then find out its only about 40 tables and the same folks from 4 months ago?!?

I wish you could pay, peek in, and get your money back if you only stay 5 minutes.

I went looking for some new grips for a 1911 and some thumbrest grips for the new Ruger MKII. Came away with a whetrock. Oh well, maybe next time.

Hate to complain, but I felt the need to vent....
  2. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

Did that been there , when you do find what you was looking for you find out it has now turned to gold ,and need to go back home and get the deed to the house , or what was crap you had last time has now apriciated in value
  3. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I hear you. , but in cases like that, I always get extra clips and accessories, just to make the trip worthwhile. You don't always have to get a firearm. I 've been to countless shows, where all I bought, were just some accessories to make the trip worthwhile, heck, sometimes you don't have to get anything at all. The social aspect is fun enough with friends and fellow Americans.
  4. gipper

gipper New Member

I was kind of dissapointed w/ the recent gunshow in orlando, didn't see any good prices, expected to see a wider variety, also think there were too many tables of just junk, people selling widgets and doodads barely related to firearms at all, it was a 7 dollars not very well spent.. shoulda put it toward ammo or something but not their, cause 22 mag ammo was a few bucks more than walmart, you think those guys would check on that sorta stuff, but maybe they make thier money on suckers...
  5. jlmckinney

jlmckinney New Member

We had a pretty good show at the Mesquite Rodeo Center a few months ago! Lots of good stuff, but no money to spend! After I got the Ruger GP-100, went to the Big Town gun show and stocked up on a good holster, two speed loaders, double speedldr pouch, and got two boxes of CCI Shotshell for $0.90 less than Wal-Mart! Cousin got a good deal on 500rds of .40 pretty cheap, he was a vendor though!

Some vendors just won't budge when it comes to prices, especially on Saturdays! Go on Sunday afternoon to get some "I don't want to load this stuff up" kinda thing! Plus, walk the whole show a few times to get the best price, wheel and deal'em!

That's just me though!

JM
  6. 45Smashemflat

Oh yeah, I agree - I have a good time at any show. Fondle a few guns, talk to folks, learn stuff. But its frustrating to be there for a specific purpose - and then have a low vendor turn out.
  7. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

I have never purchased a gun at a gun show ,I go for the accessories ,my biggest purchase was a safe one time ,you can usually get a deal the last day towards the end of the show ,because they don’t want to haul it back ,but I have never seen a great deal worth getting exited about ,if I do it is usually from a out of state dealer or someone to far away and I have to pay someone local to hold on to it , so the savings are scarce ,the only deal I did ever see ,and kick myself in the rear for was a Barrett 82A1 ,a pawn shop had it for 2,500 around 14 years ago
  8. jlmckinney

jlmckinney New Member

A few months ago, I purchased a NIB GP-100. That weekend I was going to the Big Town Gun Show in Mesquite. As I walked around a came back to my cousins set-up, he told me that a young fella came by with the exact same thing I bought earlier in the week! We was aking $300 for it. :eek: Coulda saved me $90 on that deal. My first experience walking around with mine in the box! Everyone kept asking me about the Ruger and if it was for sale! Never do that again!

Cousin had a guy come by with a very brand new Glock 23 .40, he traded and got it for $300, lucky terd, and a few mags.

But you never know when purchasing from an individual! Could be stolen, could be legit.
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Some shows are good and tohers are not.

You have to attend them all to find the things you are looking for over a period of time. Also, if you don't already know, they do expect you to haggle over price!
  10. 45Smashemflat

Oh yes, haggle definitely spoken here!! And needless to say, I'll always go back - its an addiction.

I like the cash on Sunday approach - usually can work a tax savings on that kind of deal...