Gun show hypocrisy at it's finest!!!!

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Redhand, Jan 23, 2010.

1. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

At the local show here, you can sell or buy anything while in line to get in. You do have to hand them your Unloaded weapon to be tiestrapped and you cannot have any ammo on you. I have been known to just put the clip or bullets in my pocket. I'm not about to walk out of there with my new toy and go into the huge parking lot full of who knows who without being loaded. Lately I just keep my gun concealed and dont tell them. By the way, if you do have loaded weapons or clips they will unload them and keep the bullets and you cant get them back.
  2. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

The shows here in West Palm Beach Florida don't restrict the sales indoors but do frown on parking lot sales. My big problem with recent shows is that they have evolved into flea markets. I don't pay to look at pots and pans, I pay to look at, and occasion, buy weapons. I complained to the past shows promoter, claims I was the only person to complain. Fine I no longer take family to the monthly show. That is a loss of 8 paid admissions ($64)
  3. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

At the last and I do mean LAST gunshows I've attended the lines stretched out into the parking lots, so would sales in those lines be OK?:confused::eek::confused:
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Where I am, it is ok so far, and thats why I get there early. You never know what kind of bargains you can get or what you can get rid of that you dont want before you ge to the dealers inside. Once you get inside, whatever you have is crap and whatever the dealers have is golden. I was looking at a dealers .41 Remington Arms double barreled derringer with a broken hinge and he wanted $1500 But when I showed him my same gun which looked much better and had a perfect hinge he says that "You got a nice $200-300 piece there. I still have that Derringer. You have to be on your toes.
  5. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

I think that Redhand nailed it when he asked, "Would not the event organizer incur some liability concerning any prohibited or illegal activity inside or outside the building including the parking lot?"

Unfortunately we still live in an increasingly litigation oriented society and as such tort law oriented lawsuits almost always draw in all of the folks associated with a specific occurrence, especially those with the deepest pockets. In the situation of leased space for a gun show event which is generally legally inclusive of a portion of the parking lot used for the venue, the civil lawsuit would undoubtedly include the property owning lessor, the gun show promoting lessee, as well as all of the actual individual 'actors' involved in the gun related legal problem. Thus, it behooves all involved in putting on gun shows to attempt to restrict all firearms transactions to a theoretically more controlled environment which exists within the walls of the show. And should some type of liability arise out of administratively prohibited parking lot gun transactions which do occur, those involved as lessor and lessee can set forth in their court defense all of their good faith efforts to prevent such transactions as set forth and agreed to as administratively prohibited transactions in the executed agreement between the lessor and lessee. That unfortunately is the legal world in which we live.
  6. NitroDave08

NitroDave08 New Member

I went to a show yesterday, it's the local "good ol' boy" gun club. It was a joke. Rules are no loaded weapons. If I didnt know before and was carrying the CCW, I would walk back to the truck and put the magazine in the truck and carry the empty handgun. No problem.

In the state of WY, if someone carries a weapon (gun + ammo) without permission onto property (rented or purchased) without permission, that person is considered an "intruder" (even if not armed). And if you arent shot or killed, you are arrested. It is not "someones wishes", its their right.

I brought in my HD Maverick to look for a foregrip. I think I saw more LE there than I seen on duty even at the Cheyenne Frontier Days, the largest rodeo in the US. I laughed numerous times at the ammo prices, and I made it a point to let the dealer know. I could have made a small fortune if I sold my ammo at their prices even with the $60 table price. I had the shotgun's action open with the factory cable lock through it. They still zip tied the trigger. The prices on the guns were a joke, of course. Seems they all are looking for the new buyer that does'nt do alot of homework on prices. I only go to the shows when looking for accessories (magazines, cases, grips etc). The only reason I don't buy online is that I don't want to go through the hassels of returns if it wasnt something that I am happy with. I like to touch, see, smell and caress the item before I purchase haha. One reason that I did go, knowing the farce it would be, is that the proceeds goes to the local charities.

In short and my IMO, If you don't like the rules don't go. If you see the signs and don't agree, don't go inside. If they post the signs on the inside and don't see until after paying, turn around go outside and comply then go back in with the ticket or stamp. These are private events. I can rent a civic centers for an event and let in only who I want in as long as I don't descriminate against race, age, sex, etc.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  7. db4usa

db4usa New Member

I frequent gun shows and have for years. When the ad says unloaded firearms only, that's what it means. No problem, I pop out the clip, stow it in the truck and carry my CCW in it's holster after it's cleared by the cop at the door. I also carry in trading pieces that have to be cleared. I've experienced low-balling but have also gotten some really great deals from FFL's. I usually get at least a couple of offers from different tables and the bidding begins...HA!.

I recently attended a show in Bridgeton, MO. I took along a target pistol that I had purchased from a FFL. My wife didn't like it so it became trading material. After the 1st vendor asked to see it (he had a interesting 9mm), a gentleman approached me and declared he was a good friend of that vendor and wanted to see my pistol. I have to tell you that I've done this sort of thing for years. But this dude smelled like a Fed from the moment I laid eyes on him. He glanced at my gun and refused my price and strode away. I saw him later "inspecting" other individual's wares. This was a smaller gun show and this guy stuck out like a sore trigger finger. It's pretty bad when FFL's are coerced into bird dogging honest citizens for the Feds. I did buy a 9mm that day but for $200 less on the deal than the original "stool pigeon" FFL offered me for the same gun. I did the transaction while Joe Friday was on the other side of the room.

I also often see these guys that I call snipers. They hover around the tables and jump on you with offers only slightly higher than the FFL's. I've made some good deals with a few of them. Of course they don't know that I'm always ready to "hunker down" when it comes to deals. They don't run the deal through NICS and they aren't paying for table space to the promotor. I point this out to them and let them know they are working with low overhead. I suspect they may even be shills for FFL's. I can imagine the promotors envisioning these guys working the parking lots from their tailgates. I haven't seen any restrictions yet on parking/outside transactions here in Missouri, but with the Feds snooping around, it may not be far from coming.

db
  8. dge479

dge479 New Member

I live in NJ, Whats a gun show?
  9. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 New Member

At a show in New York they were quick to point out that arrests had been made for deals in the parking lot.

I do not know the rules in New York, but I would not even think of trying to make a private sale.

I once sold a shotgun at a show through an FFL. He charged the buyer $15 or $25 dollars. Everyone made out well.

Working through an FFL is, I think, a nice way of protecting oneself when selling a gun to a stranger. The seller can say that he transferred his gun to a licensed dealer who ran a NICS check on the buyer. If the buyer does something stupid the only one to blame is the buyer.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  10. K1D_5150

K1D_5150 New Member

I learned to shoot from 3yrs of age, I watched my parents drink responsibly from the time that I can remember. The first gun I remember shooting was a .357 revolver and the first beer I saw was a Bud. I was taught the correct way to handle firearms and learned what responsible drinking looked like, and I now practice both, and am more responsible with them than any of my friends I know my age, and hope my children will learn from that same example. 'Safety and responsibility lay between the ears, not in the hands.'