Gun show results--so far I scored a D+ or C-...better today!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 6:48:05 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Gun show results--so far I scored a D+ or C-...better today!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Going back to redeem myself today...

Sold an M44 for $70...Doing fine so far...then had a guy with money in hand ready to buy the SKS, but when I asked, he was from Illinois...FOIC or whatever in hand prepared to buy, but darn CR rules, I couldn't sell...CRAP.

Anyway, show going well, bought a box of all Russian marked Nagant revolver ammo, 40 round box, for $20...looks cool, and he had two boxes, I should have bought both...one to shoot, one to display...I've never seen them before. There's is a picture on the box of a target, and they look like wadcutters...headstamped "38" (over) "85."

Bought some Silver Bear 115gr JHPs for the Makarov to try, $5.50/box...saw some SWEET M39s, and 38s that were reasonable...

Also found some 1943 Bannermans GI Bore Cleaner, $1/can, bought 2....some other little stuff...

But then bought my first Mauser...private guy desperate to buy another gun, offered me a matching except for bolt clean bore, what I thought at the time was a "Good" Spanish 1916 .308 for $60...I should have checked it closer, but I knew they ran $100 or so, I always wanted one...SOOoo...wouldn't dicker, so I took the plunge.

Got it home, found the stock was cracked, and don't know how I missed it was missing adjuster on rear sight...pitted under wood...and action grittier than hell...

Good thing I know you MauserManiacs wouldn't steer me wrong, and I've shot a few nice 98, but if I didn't know, I'd be calling MAUSERS prybars...ANY Mosin Nagant I have is twice the rifle this is...even WITHOUT the defects...

Anyway, have it on GB right now, started at $1 No Reserve, trying to at least get my money out of it, up to $11 now, only out $49 so far...

Couldn't go yesterday, but going back today...with another M44, I'll see if I can bring the grade up...

Hi. My name is Mike. And I am a Nagantaholic. "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Edited by: polishshooter at: 3/17/02 11:26:06 pm

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (3/17/02 7:27:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Gun show results--so far I scored a D+ or C-...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hope today turns out better for ya, Good Luck.

I just threw out a bid on that spanish junk and was out bidded.

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 10:36:50 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Gun show results--so far I scored a D+ or C-...
    Hey Polish.....doesn't that GI bore cleaner smell nice? Seems to work well, though.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 11:31:30 am)
    You do have to watch them 1916 Spanish Mausers. Some of them have had a hard life in a damp environment - deep pitting in the metal under the wood line. I have seen this on a lot of the .308 converted ones. It seems to be less prevalent on the ones still in the 7mm Mauser chambering.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

a81492
    (3/17/02 1:47:05 pm)
    Prybars notwithstanding, sounds like y'all had a good time....... an A+ for enjoyment. The Nagant ammo in the distinctive box was fairly common around '86-'87 & fetching $8-10 per 40rds here on west coast. Fair warning tho, it's CORROSIVE AS ALL HELL !!

Makes perfect company fer that stanky bore cleaner. Hee he

best,
    joey

gamehunter3
    (3/17/02 4:54:13 pm)
    HEY POLISH, I WISH I KNEW YOU HAD ACCESS TO NAGANT REVOLVER AMMO. I WAS GOING TO BUY ONE FROM SURPLUS FIREARMS IN CLEARWATER YESTERDAY BUT HE SAID AMMO WAS REAL HARD TO GET AND HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY SO I ENDED UP BUYING A SKS AND HE THREW IN A LEATHER SLING, 3 BOXES OF AMMO AND A $8.00 BOOK. GOOD LUCK AT THE GUN SHOW.

JERRY IN FLORIDA 83 AND SUNNY

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/17/02 5:32:43 pm)
    Bob
    weren't the .308 converted 1916's considered dangerous?

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 7:47:18 pm)
    Hey, everybody, I really appreciate all you guys like T and FL and Jerry either bidding it up or offering to...let's see where it goes, all I really need is my original $60 and the GB FVF and the $.50 for the counter...and I'll be happy...

And if it went for much MORE than that I'd be a little worried the guy getting it would be as disappointed as I was...

But then again, they WHOLESALE for about $100 or so, in decent shape, maybe some guy used to paying retail will be tickled to get it at $75...

And if I lose money it will be a good lesson for me...

And I redeemed myself today, sold my Romanian SKS with the scope and mount on it I got at the Auction where I got the Astra, a Chinese sling, a ammo pouch with 40 rounds of Wolf on strippers, a 1" extension, and a buttstock cleaning kit for $250...I figure that's a few more M44s...

And I got $80 for the laminated Russian Wartime about 5 minutes after I got in the show...

There were TONS of "typical" G-VG 44s for sale at the show, ABSOLUTELY not moving at $75-85....but I can't keep them on my shoulder with a sand job, some stain, and a couple of coats of TruOil...Guys simply want cheap "shooters" with no extra work, and will pay for it, I'm convinced...

The guys wanting to look at them are NOT collectors, but typical Joe Shooters, who KNOW how much fun they are, and just want's one that looks good too...don't even CARE if they are matching...usually don't even look at the numbers, just the bore, and try the trigger IF it looks good...

And the "rearsenaled" 91/30s, 38s and 44s with accessories were at $219.99 at the show, and saw a couple actually SELL.

Came home today with 2 boxes of WW x54, 120 rounds of Czech silvertip x54 to check out, that's about all that's available right now surplus, a reprint of the US Ordinance Manual from 1954 on Mosin Nagants, Pierce Grips for the Makarov, a bunch of patches, two more cans of that Bannermans solvent, a Nagant bolt tool, some cool sunglasses, 6 losing stubs from the USMC League Ruger Red Label raffle, a set of brass gunsmith punches, possibly a couple of new members for the site, met another member (JTH) who just started posting here, and actually answered recently one of my old posts about the 8x56RH that I missed, and actually left his table to lead me around the show to show me some Lebel ammo on Hotchkiss MG strips some other guy had for sale for $5 that he pulls bullets from and reloads for his Steyr...(they are like .327 bullets, CLOSE to the .329 oddballs you need for the Steyr, and they are neat looking boattails to boot...)(THANKS JTH, it was nice to meet you!)(TFF gets around, guys!)'....

And came home with $304 in my pocket (Oh yeah, I managed to sell and trade some M44 pouches too...)...(SOG here I COME! )(After I pay a bill or two, though... )

All in all I think it ended up a pretty decent show...I think I pulled out a solid "A."

Hi. My name is Mike. And I am a Nagantaholic. "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 8:41:26 pm)
    Good deal Mike! You hafta get a table sometime.

Fred - there has been some controversy on the M1916 Spanish Mausers converted to .308. Some folks say they were intended for a lower power .308 cartridge, and won't stand up to regular NATO .308 loadings. Then other folks say they have fired 100s of rounds of surplus .308 through them with no signs of damage or deterioration. I have one I have fired 20 or 30 rounds of regular .308 through, and so far no problems.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/17/02 9:07:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Gun show results--so far I scored a D+ or C-...
    Thumbs Up To You Polish!
    TFF VMBB Contact Admin

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 11:24:37 pm)
    Joey, can you still get it for that price?

I saw Fiocchi at a show once for $19.99/50, didn't buy any like a dufus and now it's been three shows and none is available...only three boxes at the entire show were at that one table, two of these @$20, and ONE ratty box of Fiocchi that he wanted $39.99 for!!!

The guy I got the WW x54 stuff from says he has had it on backorder from Fiocchi for over 2 months.

I'm just happy I get to finally shoot it, probably will only shoot a couple of cylinders full to check the old revolver out and then put 14 rounds in the little pouch on the holster and forget about it...

BTW, has anybody seen any of that Albanian x54 anywhere lately, the stuff AIM had? I'm running out, and that's been the best stuff I've shot so far.

Outside of ONE guy that had three unopened tins of "Russian" for sale at $50 per tin, the only x54 surplus at the show was the Czech silvertip, also $50/440...I didn't want to buy a tin because the green lacquer case scares me...I almost talked another guy who was thinking about it to go halves on a tin with me but he couldn't make up his mind, bought some Wolf instead....

Has anybody shot any quantity of the silvertip stuff? Is there any lacquer buildup in the chamber like some of the old green stuff? This doesn't look like it's on too thick...

And oh yeah, saw more 6.5 Jap today than ever, mostly overpriced Norma @ $29-35/20, but one guy had some American Eagle stuff for $25/20.

And I saw a sawed off '97 that could have been a clone of mine, except his had a little less patina a 20" barrel and the barrel was marked "full" not "Cyl" like mine...and he wanted $495 for it...

Heck, I figger with the custom extra browning on mine, and the "Cyl" on mine that might confuse you a little on maybe it WASN'T sawed...

...mine is worth at least twice that...