The Firearms Forum banner

Gun Show

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
Im reading all the post about how supplies are getting low. In joliet we are not getting low and I can get primers, powder etc. But there is a gun show comming Dec. 15th to my area. should I wait to buy supplies there, will they be cheaper at the show than the retail stores? Ive never been to a gun show so i dont know whats gunna be there. let me know.

#2 ·
Gun show prices are all over (high and low). Best way to prepare is to make a list of what you are interested in...guns, knives, holsters, ammo, reloading supplies...whatever and write down the prices you know you can get at local gun shop, internet auction sites, walmart, ect.... for those items.

Go to the gun show with your list of known prices and buy there if cheaper, otherwise just walk around and have fun.

Hint; If you really see something of interest but haven't looked up the price, use your smart phone to find the average price on the spot by logging on to one of the two big auction sites.

#3 ·
Gun show prices are all over (high and low). Best way to prepare is to make a list of what you are interested in...guns, knives, holsters, ammo, reloading supplies...whatever and write down the prices you know you can get at local gun shop, internet auction sites, walmart, ect.... for those items.

Go to the gun show with your list of known prices and buy there if cheaper, otherwise just walk around and have fun.

Hint; If you really see something of interest but haven't looked up the price, use your smart phone to find the average price on the spot by logging on to one of the two big auction sites.
Good advice!

#4 ·
Pre-show just look up the prices for the components you use, find the best deal and write the info on a piece of paper, bring it to the show.

#5 ·
ditto all that.

do keep a tab on your local supply. if you see the supply drying up.. secure enough for your needs.. you can always get more at the show. typically if cheaper.. oly a few dollars.. so it's not a huge deal either way.

#6 ·
Gun shows will most likely be pricey right now. If they are pricey on the first part of the day, wait until the end of the day when the sellers are tired. Then offer them a bottom line cash price and you would be surprised what you can walk out with.

The big thing is this. Don't buy out of fear because someone tells you they are almost out. Instead offer less because you have the cash. After all, they want your cash more than you want their components. If they say no, walk and go to the next but don't pay full price. That is how I do it and trust me, even though they say there is a shortage I have always found it cheaper else where.

#7 ·
i love hitting a gun show at 2 time points.

first open and thru the door.

any low priced piece or specialty rare items will be laying out and if there's 1 in the show that's a deal.. I wnat it.

next is 45m before closing time.

easier to sell at 5% profit, vs taking it back home and trying for 15% profit next show after driving it around and handling it alot.

#8 ·
i love hitting a gun show at 2 time points.

first open and thru the door.

any low priced piece or specialty rare items will be laying out and if there's 1 in the show that's a deal.. I wnat it.

next is 45m before closing time.

easier to sell at 5% profit, vs taking it back home and trying for 15% profit next show after driving it around and handling it alot.
I usually go later in the day. I am refreshed and ready to deal. They are tired and don't want to pack it out (not for all, but some).

#9 ·
Ok sounds like good advice thanks. I'm gunna haggle.

#10 ·
I usually wait until Sunday afternoon, when they are getting tired and ready to go home. You seem to get the better deal then (usually). Haggling does work most of the time. I have tried with some dealers that just won't drop the price a penny and I won't buy from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.