Gun show

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by stash247, Dec 3, 2006.

1. stash247

stash247 New Member

Just got home from a gun show, and feel a bit abused!
    First, this guy just made me buy a Mk I Detonics pistol, in .45ACP,four digit, no prefix, sn, with the pouch, and all the original paperwork, apparently (from the ramp ad the breechface) unfired, and he would not take more tha $500US!
    Then the other guy jumps in, with a 3" M337 Smith, with a real (Ramp, not glow worm) front sight, all the paper, case and box, and tells me I owe him 450 dollars, which I tinnk I paid, with a smile!
    How hard did I get 'plugged'?
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Come on rub it in, Sounds like you got hit hard I will give you $501 for the MKI and $451 for the Smithie
  3. stash247

stash247 New Member

ok.
    This was the same every month, 90% dealers show, where I found the Swenson 'smithed/ accurised, Louis Seecamp double action converted FN 'Hi-Power, 3 years ago; one of two that Seecamp ever did, according to his son.
    The same show where I bought the NIB, $400 Kimber.
    The one where I ....
    REALLY!
    Southern, hard as it is for me to believe, this stuff is out there, and for sale, at reasonable to cheap prices, everywhere I look, if I look hard enough.
    I will be traveling by ground, over the Christmas Holiday, on weekends, both ways, to Michigan, via Alabama, and have already planned my route around gun show schedules, of less commercial shows; 4 out, and three, maybe four, on the way back.
    Opportunity is what you make it; I travel with a bit of trading stock, when in the truck, but truck or bike, always a bit of CASH, and all of that in $100's : they seem to have more effect, counted out slowly, on the table, for making price adjustment, than any other denomination.
    My other rule is to never walk past something I want, if fairly priced, or anywhere close, with the idea of coming back for it later; It never is still there! A secret I learned from a Texas State Trooper, at a HGCA show, at the AstroHall, years ago! He looked for 10 minutes at a Day Arms "Little gun", a complete 1911 pistol in .22 LR, and I observed, from two tables away; when he put it down, and walked on, i moved to the table, and asked the feller what that ".45 lookin' .22 pistol was worth", and he said he wasn't quite sure, as he had never heard of Day Arms, but, would I give him $200?
    I remember my reply, quite well, it was a question- "$200 ?"
    Also his response" How 'bout $165?"
    I have had this pistol for fifteen years, in spite of the Trooper stalking me through the show (A Biggee- 2500-3000 Tables, back then), with ever higher offers, all, obviously, refused, for two days! Saturday morning, not yet 10AM, and the show opens at 9; he was two tables down when I did the deal; It it's 'right', JUMP!!
    Need some more rubbing, just ask!
    All the best.
    Maybe we need a thread on "Gun Show Tactics" for the newbies?
    Terry
  4. southernshooter

Cash Talks that the number one tactic
    And my other one is if they want say $350 for a 1911 I want. I will offer $300 and if he thinks for a minute about it and decides no. I make sure I walk away real slow usually about the 5th or 6th step away I hear hey big guy wait a second. And I will turn around as happy as a lark

FYI: My granddad owned a Antique shop so I can haggle and barter like a pro
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Gee can I get a set in y'alls class room I Never get a good deal at the gun shows :eek: :eek: :confused: :D :D :D :D :D
  6. Right, Ron, and wolves often bed down peacefully with the sheep. :D
  7. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

And I'm gonna stand waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy over here so I won't be too close when the lightning strikes you! :rolleyes: :p
  8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

That's the biggest - - -WHOPPER
    I've ever heard, Ron.

I agree with SoMo, we will stay out of the way of that one !!!!!

Attached Files:

9. southernshooter

I think we could all take a few tips from you Ron
  10. Stash, what do you think about the Detonics? I've seen them, but never had an opportunity to shoot one. Do you find the recoil bothersome at all, or does the pistol design absorb it pretty well?
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

Pistol, I work with my hands, and have, all my life, and have a couple of ex wives who will testify in court as to my insensitivity, so maybe I'm not the one to ask.....
    Seriously, all of my 'little big guns' are of steel construction, top and bottom, so still wiigh in the 28-29 ounce range. The loss of two inches of barrel changes the balance, some, allowing more torque, and muzzle flip, but not to the point of being objectionable, by any means.
    They are guns no larger than a Walther PP, but with less handle, and a tad more horsepower!
    This being said, I'm the guy who ran through 300 rounds of .44 Mag ammo, first time out, with a Ruger Redhawk; draw your own conclusions, here.
    I shoot either hand, slightly better, but slower, weak side, and shot, for years, 3 leagues, 12 months a year.
    They are fine little guns, and nothing to fear, as to recoil; the early dual, now triple, concentric, captive, Seecamp designed, and licensed, recoil springs to a lot to moderate secondary recoil (when the slide goes solid to the frame), and if the particular pistol will allow a buffer, by all means use one; most Detonics Combat Masters are figured too close to allow one, but they will protect the frame, if used.
    And, they are accurate, for what they are; I've a trio of bullets, in the shop, cut out of an oak log, long ago, doing an imitation of a California "Gay Bar", on Saturday night; all stacked, nose to tail, from 7 yds.
    Buy one! Or, two or three, when you find them! They will never go down in price, and are high quality arms, every one! All the best, Terry
  12. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Stash, any insight on the New Detonics? I've played with a few of the originals and I think the world of them. I've not messed with any of the new ones. I've owned a few Jerry Ahearn pieces of leather - and they are great - and since he is running the company now, I can only assume good things......

As far as small 1911's, my 3" Kimber is the all steel Eclipse model for the same reasons you give above.
  13. Thanks, Terry. I've always had some hesitation with regard to the small 1911 pattern pistols because of the recoil factor. I can, if necessary, shoot them accurately, but that's not the point. I've shot the small Colts on several occasions, but always found they hurt my hand pretty badly. For self-defense purposes that's really not a relevant factor, of course, but I like to practice extensively with any weapon I carry, and that usually means 300-400 rounds per range session. Next time I get the chance, I will take a closer look at the Detonics and see if they feel and balance better in my hand.
  14. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Pistol - check out the all steel Kimbers as well.

Attached Files:

15. stash247

stash247 New Member

.45, I know little, except by rumor, of the New Detonics product.
    Robbie Barkum, and Jerry Ahern, for a variety of reasons, I consider honorable, talented, knowledgeable men, about whom I nave never heard a negative comment. Both thought the product too good to die, and both are smart enough to analyse and correct product shortcomings, before they happen, often.
    These are serious shooters, both, building guns for the most serious group of shooters in the world; If it has not already happened, I would expect a "High Grip Cut" frame, like your Kimber, and my Colt Officers Model, in their lineup, shortly.
    Pistol, this is a way to 'drop' the bore line of a compact a little closer to the axis of the radius, inproving one's 'leverage', to resist muzzle flip; while there is very little weight difference in these guns, the 'high grip' guns are a bit quicker for me to get back in alignment.
    If nothing else, New Detonics ought to bring the once $50 price of mags back closer to reality.
    A 'Heads up' here, for all. There are some Mags about, at gun shows, and such, marked (Stamped) on the floorplate, "Detonics" , ".45ACP", two lines.
    These are bogus, poorly formed, may not feed well, or drop free, but many are or were paying 'genuine' prices for this crap! The real deal says "Detonics", ".45 Auto", on the bottom! All I have seen were in Stainless, but there could be blued ones about, as well.
    My personal preference is for a Genuine Detonics mag, in the pistol, and 8-rounders, in my pocket, as all will function in the pistol, and if it comes to more than six, we're in a war!
    Do what you will.
    I'll ask some questions, and do some research, .45, and get back to you on the new company!
    Happy Holidays, Terry
  16. southernshooter

17. stash247

stash247 New Member

So they are gonna 'Monday morning Quarterback' JMB, huh?
    The nine works fine in the original design.
    So does the .38 Super.
    If I wanted a tiny 9mm pistol, I'd look to: www.Rohrbaughfirearms.com, and have a really tiny, but functional, weapon.
    Springfield is engineering a great answer to a non-existant question, IMHO.
    Terry
  18. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Heck, I'm going through withdrawls... I need to get to a show period!
  19. southernshooter