Gun Show

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by mr.t7024, Mar 11, 2010.

1. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I went to the gun show at the Shriners Auditorium March 7,this past week.I bought a used marlin model 60 for 80 bucks. It was the old model that holds 17 rounds in the Magazine tube, the stock was birch and needed to be refinished. Before i did that, took the stock off and brushed the action out with high octane, dried it of and lightly re-oiled,The 60 shot like new. Refinished the stock and now it looks like new. I am impressed. Got rid of a 60 over 20 years ago, and glad I replaced it. For an inexpensively made firearm,sure is accurate. I have a 10/22 Ruger Sporter and a Ruger 77/22, I know which gun I will be using!BTW it is more accurate than my 10/22, will check it out against the 77 soon. Will report when I do.:D
  2. red14

red14 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to your range report.
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

MRT, that is a great old gun. It just so happens that my friend had his with him yesterday at the range. He has had it since childhood. We have a golf ball hanging at 50yds. The gods were with me and after a couple shots on paper to see where I was hitting I took a chance on that golf ball. I HIT THAT SUCKER FIRST SHOT, needless to say I didn't try another and just laid the rifle on the table and smiled. At 50yds. the front sight bead is the same size as the golf ball so a lot of luck was in that shot but I am not complaining and it will be along time before I shoot at it again with iron sights. I think you are going to have a ball with that old Marlin and you are right they are very accurate, enjoy.
  4. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just bought the same (exact it sounds like)gun 2 weeks ago.I did exactly the same thing to it also.Mine will not throw the bolt back far enough to chamber a cartridge though.I've ordered some hotter ammo,hopefully that will fix it.Congrats on the new purchase.You'll enjoy it. Joe
  5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

The Marlin Model 60 and the Ruger 10/22 are the USA's two best-selling .22 rifles, and have been for years.

An out-of-the-box Model 60 will usually outshoot a 10/22 with the standard skinny barrel. Dressed up, the 10/22 will win.

accident, the hotter ammo will probably do the trick.
  6. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Why would standard ammo not throw the bolt back far enough on an older Mod 60? Seems like the spring would be weaker on an older gun.
  7. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Oneida Steve, you are right, but how much will one have to spend on the Ruger to accomplish that goal!:D
  8. Oneida Steve

mrt, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it !
  9. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Oneida Steve, then we are not comparing apples to apples. What would one have to spend on the Ruger to outshoot my 80 dollar gun, I wouyld love to hear your answer!nuff said! BTW Good Day!:D
  10. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This morning i bought a brick of Winchester Wildcat HV ammo.It fixed the feeding problem i was having with the mdl60 i bought..I shot 2 full boxes through it & it never failed even once. Accurate too.
  11. Oneida Steve

mrt, you are 100% correct. The original Ruger 10/22 is a great gun, but it won't give you fine accuracy without a bull barrel and other fancy stuff. The Model 60 is good to go right out of the box.

You can now get 10/22s all dressed out for target shooting, but they cost big $$$, often 2x or 3x the price of the standard gun.
  12. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Oneida Steve, it is no big deal, I like good discussions. Have a good day, take care & shoot safe. Cliff Tomassain:D