Gun vs. Knife

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Rob Longenecker, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Rob Longenecker

Rob Longenecker New Member

“Don’t Bring a Gun to a Knifefight?”

Sure, you better bring a gun, bring a clear mind and the will to act so you don’t get cut.

Yes, I know. The old joke is about "don’t bring a knife to a gunfight."

This is no joke as you’ll see here: http://tinyurl.com/l8yk9 *WARNING* - Not for the squeamish.
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Maybe you should have looked harder!

If you take this one step further and look at snopes, you will find it is a hoax. It was supposedly about an American airman attacked in a bar in Korea. Here is the snopes edition.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/gruesome/kunsan.asp
  3. Rob Longenecker

I called the police officer who sent me the story. There was a dead end.
    I posted a disclaimer but the information was still valuable.
    How would you have handled it?
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

5. Rob Longenecker

You're right. Post altered. The pictures still get my attention and illustrate the point.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Yes, they are gruesome to say the least. This happens a lot when an amazing story comes to us on the internet. We mainly use snopes to veryify such stories.

Welcome aboard, Rob. Glad to have you with us. Please do not let this keep you from posting. I think most of us have gone through this at least once. ;) :D :D :D
  7. Rob Longenecker

I'm glad to know there are guard rails on the internet superhighway to keep me from crashing into the trees at the side of the road. :)
  8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I would have died, I dont carry my concealed weapon into any establishment that derives any of it's annual income through the sale of alcohol.

Crpdeth
  9. Ursus

Ursus New Member

So what? Would it be safer to carry a knife to fend a knife wielder?
  10. Rob Longenecker

So, you probably wouldn't make the mistake, that some might, of thinking that because they have a gun, they don't have to fear a person with a knife.
    The point was to create some awareness and discussion.
  11. rondba

rondba New Member

I have seen the effect a man who knows how to use a knife can make. It made a real impact on me both the times I saw what a man with a knife can do. A bullet may do some damage,but a sharp knife can gut a man faster than you can draw a gun. Bottom line is if an attacker gets close enough to use a knife the guy with the gun will lose.
  12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Rob and Ron
  13. Rob Longenecker

Thanks! :D
  14. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Rob

Thanks for the thought stimulation, of course you are right a knife is a very dangerous weapon and can be presented in a fight very quickly...This discussion is not a new one to CCL holders. I think the general consensus though, is that were going to carry something. I'd never display a knife in a fight anyway, nor would I trade in my .357 Mag or .45 ACP for a blade.

Keep some distance between you and the bad guy, watch his demenor and his hands with your peripheral...Hey you are right a knife is fast, my favorite knife in my moderate collection is a spring assisted custom locker that is extreamly fast, razor sharp and deadly as hell, but what would I do with it against 4 thugs? How about the story in the news lately about the disgruntled grocery store employee with the butcher knife running around slashing other employees? How would I deal with that with a 9" blade? The bad guy and myself would be on an even kill, I would be left hopeing this fool has zero martial arts training because I've had very little...The guy that saved the day (and a few lives) pointed a .9mm pistol at the guys chest and the idiot wised up and dropped the knife and stood there untill the LEOs showed up.

Crpdeth
  15. Ursus

Ursus New Member

You are right, is a common mistake to think that if you carry a gun, you have to fear no one. I think I understand that you are trying to stablish the point that a knife is fast and deadly. Agree on that. My point is that a gun is still the best defense against knife, guns, or bare hands. When you say that a knife wielder can get you before you have the chance to draw a gun, you're right. The same is true if you are carrying a knife or are a martial arts practioner, so the gun is still the best defense.
    And be wellcome to TFF!!!
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2006