Gun vs. Knife

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Rob Longenecker, Sep 8, 2006.

1. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Also when a attacker or mugger or whatever the situation is whne he sticks you their is no sound you can be their a while with no police no EMT or help of any kind
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Just my .01 from the edged weapon training I accumulated over the last decade.

1. Sharp things have been killing people since their have been people.

2. There's a lot of speculation, contemplation, and misconceptions about edged weapon combat...but all have some truth, if just a little. If you listen to every doctrine/principle/study, you will notice contradictions...because if it could've happened, it has and people love to declare gospel with the first thing they see work. (The only gospel is somewhere in #1)

3. Have a tool that fits the technique and a technique that fits the task. (Don't develope a technique around a weapon; get a weapon that suits the technique i.e. if you chop don't use a dagger; if you stab don't use a razor etc. Have a technique that applies to the threat i.e. are you trying to survive an attack or be a ninja assassin? lol.)

4. Proper grip is verified by wounds inflicted and weapon retained. (It's not an improper grip if it worked.)

5. Everywhere I've been, that rule about a healthy adult male being able to cross 7 yards in +-1 second and delivering a deadly/incapacitating strike with a blade has been explained, demonstrated, picked apart, analyzed, practiced, coached, battle-drilled and beat to death; it's usually quoted from some FBI or major LE agency something or other. I hold it to be a fact. Inside a room...a trench...or a couple parking spaces...a man with a knife can do it in that distance in about 1 second, 2 seconds easily. (A fast draw from a holster and range style aiming is about...3-4 seconds?) (((Protecting your vitals should be part of your combat quick draw in a knife attack!!!)))

6. One transitional training I went through began every single morning with conditioning drills that usually involved struggling one-on-one for a single kill point scored with a mock knife (red permanent Sharpie marker). Every morning you had to start with yesterdays marks gone. It's humbling to wash off mock knife wounds every damn night.

7. If you survive 100 knife attacks...99 will involve stitches for you. (see#15) Other people live through spectacular fights without a scratch...you are not other people.

8. GI insect repellent lotion removes red Sharpie from skin better than soap.

9. I was taught to stab. To stab upwards to get under/bypass bones. Straight in to maximize wound channel. Stabs are more deadly than slashes. (There's 40 ways to skin a bobcat.)

10. I was taught to avoid stabbing; saving for very deliberate attacks to very specific points. Stabs can be stopped by anything, including a shirt button, cell phone, ammunition, bone, jewelry and anything you could carry. Eyeballs and throats are allegedly okay to stab. Slashes incapacitate better than stabs. (There's 400 ways to skin a bobcat.)

11. Big knives chop off limbs. Some bowie-blade style techniques, once mastered, will chop a man down.

12. An ax/E-tool to back of head/neck is 100% better idea than the Rambo headlock throat cut move.

13. Physical strength/reflexes/mentality are very very very important in an edged weapon attack. Alertness will let you slip a little in one of those areas, but only one, never more.

14. Knife fights and CQ gun fights go to the ground equally fast.

15a. If you are serious about surviving an edged weapon attack...have appropriate emergency medical training. Learn emergency self aid/take classes. Stop blood loss/prevent shock are the two you really need. (Start aid before EMS gets to you) Also, treating blood loss and shock are required to survive gunshot, car crashes, accidents etc...so you may help yourself or someone you know in ways nobody could ever guess. (Learn to use a pressure dressing and stiptic powder and keep it in your car/briefcase etc.)

15b. If you are serious about surviving an edged weapon attack...train to survive the initial assault (as worse case where you failed to detect attack). Protect your vitals and live long enough to fight(with hands, blade, gun...keys etc). Fight (train)without one extremity, on the ground, against the wall, on your back, under stress...and commit to muscle memory.
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Very nice Delta

I especially like #13

I guess this topic has been disected in the CCW community so many times that it's easy to grow bored with it, your post was a refreshing break from uneducated opinions, which is about all most of us have to go on..

Crpdeth
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  4. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

I have more experience with knives than guns. I can say that knives are espcially more dangerous to police officers as a knife is capable of piercing kevlar easier than people might think. I've had a few occaisions where I've avoided a fight just by brandishing a knife, so in a state where CCW is restricted to law enforcement the knife is better than nothing.
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

You can get in more trouble for waving a knive rather than a firearm. A knife is an extension of you body and you will stab someone before you shoot someone
  6. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

Waving a knife is a couple years at most, pulling a gun in Maryland (and this is on top of the charges I get for not having a license to have thegun) is considered threatening with a deadly weapon. Police here tend to overlook knife charges, but being between the murder capitals of the USA handguns and driving laws are the two most enforced things.
  7. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

I have no N.Y.S. CCW but I do carry a Colt 38 Cobra.I have no intent on harming anyone,but if a criminal is intent on harming me or ones I love I will shoot.If I can walk away and disappear I will,if I am arrested so be it I'll have the opportunity to tell my story to a jury.Better then me being dead or worse yet seeing someone I love dead from the act of a SB.