Guns as a financial investment.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whip, Aug 10, 2011.

1. whip

whip New Member

All of us have bought guns that have appreciated in value over time. I have always told my kids that if they buy quality firearms and take care of them they will appreciate in value. Now with crazy volatility of the stock market I was wondering what firearms you feel are a good investment. I have personally found Colt handguns to be good investments ex Colt Anaconda 4inch, good double shotguns ex LC Smith 20, some Smith and Wesson handguns ex 17-4 revolver, pre 64 Model 70 270 ex. So if you had say 3000 dollars to invest in guns which ones would you buy?

Also how much do you hurt the value if you use them but take care of the firearm?

What new guns today do you think will increase in value over the next 10 years?
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Guns can be a sort of investment known as collectibles. That is, certain ones will appreciate in value. The difficulty is determining which ones will appreciate in value and which will be labeled as junk forever. Which will be a Bren 10 and which will be a Grendel?

Generally speaking, firearms will work the same as most durable goods. You might as well collect wrenches and screwdrivers as an investment. So long as the item is still fully functional and in good condition, the value will (on average) keep up with inflation, keeping the item value somewhere between 70% and 90% of retail pricing.

I expect my investments to do better than that. Your goals, risk tolerance, and personal situation will determine what's best for you, and that's something you have to decide for yourself. For my situation, collectibles and precious metals are not good long-term investments.
  3. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

i would personally invest in ammo. in a WRoL situation ammo will be literally worth it's weight in gold and then some. guns will be plentiful, but without ammo they become unwieldy clubs, or, at best, short spears(if fitted with a bayonet)
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. geds

geds New Member

I switched my investment strategy to buying preferred stocks that pay a guaranteed dividend or mutual funds that pay a dividend. We've shopped and made sure that they pay at least 6.5% - some as high as 12%. As long as I don't have to sell the investment, I don't care what the market does as the dividends are based on number of shares and I live and grow from the dividends.

These are more conservative investments and share prices don't fluctuate as much either.

I decided that had I used this strategy when younger and just took my 8%/year growth rate, I would be better off today than trying to play the market games - even with a balanced stock and mutual fund portfolio. I've had too many big gains wiped out by bankrupting companies and crashing markets!
  5. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

Like it was said earlier ammo is the best investment! 223, 308, and 45s!
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I agree and take it a step further. If ammo will be worth its weight in gold, someone with the means to reload fired casing could potentially be the highest paid individual in his parts. So I stock up on both ammo and reloading components.
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Don't leave out the lowley .22. It may not be reloadable, but there're more .22s out there than anything else. 20,000 rounds will last a long time, and it's taken more game than any other caliber.

If yer talking strictly self defense, that arguement has also been waged. The Mossad carry .22s for a reason.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I wouldnt hesitate to defend myself with a .22LR
  9. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Best platform to do so? As in handgun, and/or rifle?
  10. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

i would think rifle; more accurate, and with a .22, accuracy matters more than with larger calibers.
  11. Petergunn

Petergunn Member

Would you go so far as getting the proper license and do commercial production?

The only problem with this you’re speculating on the public’s gun tastes and .gov laws but I’m seriously thinking about converting worthless FRN’s to hard assets (guns) and by getting my FFL01.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  12. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

If it comes to that, licenses won't matter.

I don't expect it to come to that. I don't think we're headed anywhere near that. But in a total societal breakdown, no one will be checking on licenses.
  13. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Calling a gun an investment is like calling a car an investment. Sure maybe you bought an old Mustang, never used it and kept it in mint condition- and you came out lucky. But chances are sure as **** you did not!

Invest in land or gold before you invest in guns.
  14. Petergunn

Petergunn Member

yeah I agree about total breakdown but there could be something less that would see imports banned and domestic supply greatly reduced, with that it would pay to be established now so that would require a license and meeting all laws and regs, for me I'm thinking guns & ammo (buying/selling) but ammo maker would be something I might look in to also.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I say that if this is what you want to do, go ahead. Remember though that if imports are banned, and domestic supply is greatly reduced, it will be because the laws of our Country have changed, and changed drastically! Under such laws only a few dealers will survive, if any. There is one thing that is a good investment, and that's land, they ain't gonna make any more of this! I am investing in guns, and ammo myself, but not for re-sale. Mine are for survival, and possibaly trade, if it comes to that. Out here in the boondocks where I live, gold, and silver won't get you anything! The only use me, or my neighbors will have for these metals will be to melt them down, and cast them into bullets! 50 rds of .22LR for a chicken, and a box of 500 for a pig!
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011