Guns, especially AR-15s flying off the shelf

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Blackhawk Dave, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

Went down yesterday to get my first AR. Had sold a pair of single-action revolvers to help pay for it, and the deal had finally closed. Seems that Cheaper than Dirt was out of everything but the high-dollar stuff. Other gun dealers were virtually out of inventory. My local shop had 15 on hand, and had no idea when any more were coming. The dealer said his supplier had shipped 20,000 units the day after the election and an additional 40,000 rounds of ammo. Cabellas had hiked prices the day after the election on AR and related rifles, and the hike had not affected sales.

Looks like the gun shows will be the primary source of ARs until their inventory runs out with the price rising for the forseeable future.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Look for all ammo to go up in price too.
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a fact. My suppliers pretty much sold out the day after the election and were limiting 2 ARs per dealer. I managed to get one that day. When I placed my order, there were 99 of the ones I ordered and an hour later they were gone.
  4. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

AR's and AK variants have been creeping up in price for the last four months. I bought a Saiga in 7.62x39 for $319 that you can't get for anything close to that now. If you want an AR right now the best way is to buy parts and build it yourself, of course that's ALWAYS been the best way!
  5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

History repeating itself, look back 4 years ago. Firearms, ammo and reloading supplies flying out the doors. Suppliers and dealers running up prices, feeding on the paranoid people.
    The I gotta have a high capacity assault style rifle now and price doesn't matter mentality. Majority of whom have no idea how to charge a round or which end is the dangerous end.
  6. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

Problem is, you can't get uppers or lowers either, right now. When I was in getting mine, another buyer came in and picked up an AR-15 in .223, picked up a 300 blackout upper, last in stock. Websites show out-of-stock on virtually all uppers and lowers, even in .22
  7. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I suppose now is a good time to sell any extras you might have. The price of ammo is sure to go back down, but I'm not sure about AR15's the black rifle has always been rather expensive.

Gold has not gone up in price as much as I thought it might. But then, folks are spending all of their dooms day money on guns right now.
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Bought my first Colt preban A2 in late 80s for $440; still have her too but she seems like an antique; hasn't been outta the vault in years. When the AWB came into effect, prices went up to $1900. After 10 years, the bill expired, wasn't reauthorized and prices settled down to around $1200 I believe. Yet, the supply in the pipeline, never ran out if you didn't mind paying the price. I figure Big "O" will be shooting for more this time, so you better get them when ya can.

We started hunting with ARs around 20 years back, luv all the new calibers, and I really don't need any more AR's, just some heavier calibers on AR platforms that don't weigh in at 10-11 lbs. Picked up a 308 Scar this year, best fitting AR I have ever used with a 2 point sling on a 4 wheeler or snowmachine. You can get them for around $2600.
  9. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I just bought an AR15-A4 with mil-spec sights for less than $700 two weekends ago. Lots of lookers at the expo and lots of buyers, but that little AR was tucked into a corner all alone (I promptly adopted it). :D Most of the others were waay higher priced and lots of doo-dads hanging all over them.

It's a bullet-button gun, but so is everything else in California.
  10. al45lc

al45lc New Member

It is an undisputable fact that first Clinton and now Obama have been the biggest and best gun (and ammo) salesmen of our time.
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

What are the odds they will outlaw them again? Buying them all up and jacking up prices are what will keep people from having them.
  12. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Active Member

Gun store in near me sold out of AR's the day affter the election. I talked with one of the employee's and he told me a guy came in with a wad of cash and bought 30 of them all in the same sitting :eek:.
  13. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I bet the ATF will be keeping an eye on him for a long time now.
  14. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

He bought them for resale at a later date, you can bet on it.
  15. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just went on Gallery of guns and they seem very low on AR's. Looks like they are selling off.