guns in safe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BETH, Sep 24, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

do u think it is better to leave guns in their cases in the safe or out of the case?
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Out of their cases as the cases hold moisture. If out of the cases the air can then flow around the gun and evaporate the moisture.
  3. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

A safe! A safe with a good seal and a heat rod in it is the best to keep away rust and keep them secure from bg's and fire alike...
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

thanks Brisk how ya doing buddy? Brisk your mark 111 when u get a chance can u put up a picture of it again i just luv that gun u have
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

that's what i thought Brisk but wanted to make sure
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

All above is good advice. I only use gun cases when takeing guns back an forth, ie., range and hauling.

Good to see you back here Brisk44!!!
  7. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I'm doing ok Beth. I go in for a cat scan tomorrow. As of right now they can no longer do chemo therapy as all my blood levels are so low, so it will be a few months befor they can do them again.
    I can't get at my pictures as I've forgotten the pass word but there is a picture of it in my album here.
  8. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

thanks Zane
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Brisk try drinking Ensure might help u? I have been thinking about u often pm me once in awhile so i know how u are doing, I'm praying for ya buddy
  10. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Thank you Beth. The low blood cells are because the chemo kills them off and makes it harder to reproduce them.
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

you take care hope u feel better soon
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Which cases you speaking of?

If you mean the "fleece-lined zippered soft case" with a rifle in it, yes, take 'em out.

If, however, you mean the "hard plastic case" that the pistol came in, that's a great place to leave it. It don't get banged up on the shelf, and they stack nicely.
  13. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Beth, I have to disagree with most on out of the case BUT there is a twist. All most all my guns, all my handguns for sure, are in cases in my safes. Each safe has dryrods BUT the twist is ALL my cases are coated with a GOOD gun oil on the inside. I retreat them every 3 months or so and have NEVER had a gun rust. I do NOT use any case that has a foam rubber lineing being a good gun oil will cause the foam rubber to crumble an dget on teh gun. Just my experioence and it has worlked for years for me. Also do not use a case with sheep wool eitehr.
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok thanks for the info
  15. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

just my .02 cents. cases are for transporting
  16. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

i use gun socks in my safe. I left my old 22 in a gun case for years in my closet. It rusted. Will never do that again...
  17. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Like others here, I use cases for transport; not storage in the safe. I don't have gun socks; they might help protect rifle finishes.

Brisk, great to hear from you again; thanks for the update. I too have been praying for you on a regular basis. Will know better how to pray now.
  18. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

If you need to put socks on your firearms to keep them protected in the safe then your safe is to small. When you buy a safe do not be cheap buy a quality tight safe that is much bigger then you THINK you may need. I have 3 myself one for rifles the big one one a bit smaller for shotguns and one that is about half that size for handguns with pistol racks all the up the inside. You spend good money for quality firearms keeping them in a good safe makes sure they stay nice. You can either go with heat rods OR big descant kits if you use the desiccant remember you have to dump the water OUT now and again.
  19. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i have a small pioneer safe only have 3 rifles and 4 handguns in it and a lot of ammo
  20. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

An elderly lady that used to live a few miles from us years ago called my Dad and asked him if he knew of anybody that wanted to buy her husbands old guns. We went over to pick them up and they were in a closet in her trailer house. All she had for AC was a swamp cooler and all five of the guns were in the old zipper cases with the cloth lining. We took them home and and had to cut the cases off because the zippers were rusted shut. Out of the five guns 3 of them were cheap 22s, one of them was a SXS 10ga, and the other was an early Model 12 20ga. The guns were rusted so bad that the cloth liner was stuck to the metal. The Model 12 looked like new on the inside and all the edges were still sharp. I bet it had not been fired more than a dozen times. She told us that her husband had bought it new and never used it other than to shoot skunks and badgers around the farm. This was in 81 or 82 when we picked them up and he had been dead since 1970. The guns had been in the cases all those years:mad: