guns laws in ecuador

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by gunlearner, Feb 16, 2007.

1. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

hey everyone here are some laws in ecuador on gun and some gun prices so you know how good you have it

firs law states that everyone must have a permit for the gun, this meas you can also carry concealed but only the weapon stated in the permit
    you can have a maximum of two weapons, one for defence and one for hunting or recreation.
    biggest cal you can have is 9mm or .38 and have to be semiautos or revolvers cal above such as 44 357 45 .40 are not legal and you can only have them if you belong to a gunclub registered nationwide how ever you can get in trouble if you carry that type of calibers and with mag of 10rds and aditional equipment such as laser sights and optics are not allowed.
    rifels smg and any other military weapon are police and military only.
    if you are carrying a weapon with out a permit that is a felony and automaticaly your gun is confiscated and you will be placed in jail for a total time of 3 to 5 years without possibility of bail.
    however to get a permit is easier than getting permit for tinted windows and the permits are issued by the ecuadorian army in the section gun control.
    if you are not a citizen and you are living here you can get a carrying permit if your job requires it.

this knowledge of the law is not known by most common gun carriers and most of them carry pistols with 18 round mag and if police wants to give you a hard time guess what he can.

gun prices are crazy
    for example
    my pistol taurus pt99 i got it for 1140 dollars
    a cz75 1300
    a beretta 92 1500-1800
    tangfolio competition 3000
    taurus pt111 600
    sig 228-1800
    walther p99 1800
    glock 19 1200
    some of the prices may change but what is expensive is ammo
    box of 9mm fmj $25 for 50 rds
    jhp are not allowed
    am not sure of the grain but i think aguila is 155grain and santa barbara are 124grain and the quality are not that great
    winchester are $30 for a box of 50rds

so in a way ecuador is a great place to have a gun but in other the pricces and some of the restrictions we have are not.

and who ever wants to carry a gun without a permit i advise them not to doit jail here are bad
    us jails system is a 5 star hotel to what we have here.

please comment on this and if you have more questions let me know

gl
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Do ya'll have that stupid law that outlaws .380 because .380 is a bigger number than 357
  3. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

no .380 is a 9mm short as how we know it here so its good but tyhe ammo is not easy to find therefore price is higher
  4. southernshooter

we have a member on here from El Slavador and he said that where he is at the 380 is illegal due to 380 being a biiger number that 357, I was just wondering if it was the same in Ecuador
  5. boni

boni New Member

really?these are your gun laws? you can only own maximum of two? and i thought our gun laws here are unreasonable. how many long and short guns can you own? but hey if thats the law thats the law. the law may be harsh but thats the law :D btw ammos here in the phils are expensive too. convert to dollars 50 rounds of federal hydra shok costs about $90.
  6. Ursus

Ursus New Member

Actually, SS this law does not longer exists. It lasted about 2 month and that was like 12 years ago. At this moment, you canĀ“t have a handgun with a caliber bigger than .45. There are no power rules, however, so you can't own a .50 AE, but a .454 Casull would be O.K.:)
  7. southernshooter

Thanks for clearing that up Ursus, At least now you can have a 45
  8. allunits

allunits New Member

Thank-you all for some of the best info about fire-arms laws in Ecuador I have found. Can someone answer these questions: Are shotguns legal? Do they count of one of your two guns? How about bolt action rifles? Thank-you.
  9. HandsomeDog

HandsomeDog New Member

What about .223 , like mini-14?
  10. HGQ2112

HGQ2112 New Member

I recognize this is slightly "off-topic", but I've searched elsewhere on the Net for some answers, without any luck. I am very familiar with gun laws in Ecuador. The current Ecuadorian laws don't help with my situation..so...does anyone know where I can get information on Ecuadorian laws concerning the carrying and/or concealment of non-firearm tools that might be considered "weapons" (hunting knives, etc.)? TIA.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

HGQ, welcome to the forum. Hopefully gunlearner will come back on and be able to answer your question. I was in Equador in 1986 or 1987 and carried a knife with me but I was military at the time. I was in a "tent city" in the jungle near a town name Archidonia.
  12. McClarinJ

McClarinJ New Member

What does the law say about shotguns? I noticed security guards were armed with shotguns in Quito. If shotguns are permitted, how about slugs? They are WAY bigger than 9mm of course.

Also, for hunting rifle, is it just the caliber that matters and not cartridge size or powder load? Specifically, is 308 permitted? Is 30-06 permitted? And must a hunting rifle be only single-shot bolt-action?

Does "assault rifle" mean the same thing as the liberal US media thinks it does? Is the .223-caliber Mini-14 banned for private use? Is any magazine-fed rifle outlawed for private use?

I imagine armor-piercing rounds are restricted to police/military, is that so? How about tracer rounds?

What about bringing weapons into the country? I imagine it would be advised to secure permits for the specific guns beforehand. Must I apply for gun permits in person in Ecuador or can I do so before I get to Ecuador, such as online or through the Ecuador Embassy in my country (US)?

The reason for all these questions is that I plan to move to eastern Ecuador and want to know what I need to sell off and what I can have shipped there.
  13. McClarinJ

McClarinJ New Member

Hey southernshooter, your online ID tool IS scary but inaccurate. It says I'm using a Firefox browser. I have that browser but rarely use it. I use a lesser-know brand 99% of the time that your tool is apparently unaware of.