Gunsmith for vintage H&R

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Lanrezac, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Does anyone know of a gunsmith who can fix a vintage H&R revolver, in the Milwaukee/Chicago area? I have an H&R 38 Defender which is in good shape cosmetically, but which has four separate problems:

1) the cylinder release will not release the cylinder
    2) the extractor star spring is about dead
    3) the timing is bad - if cocked slowly, the cylinder rotates about 1/8 inch more when the hammer is snapped
    4) the whole top section (barrel and cylinder) seems loose - it wiggles when pushed, even though the hinge screw seems tight.

I guess I could just leave it as a looker instead of a shooter, but it irks me every time I look at it. And I can't sell it, because who would buy it if I told them all of the above? Only me, and I already have it.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

We can handle this, but we are a long way from Wisconsin (except by shipping, of course). We receive/ship repairs from all over the country, though.