gunsmithing schools

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlvonha, Apr 17, 2006.

1. mlvonha

mlvonha New Member

Hello everyone,
    I am trying to find information on any schools which teach gunsmithing skills. My father is a huge hobbiest in this area and is trying to find more information on programs where he could be taught more skills in this area. I am trying to assist him by doing searches on the Internet for more information. So far I've only found information on four schools, in CA, OK, CO and PA (i think) which were listed on NRA's website. I've also found a few schools that offer distance learning opportunities - american gunsmithing , penn state, etc.
    Does anyone know anything (pros/cons) on these schools or even know of any other schools which teach this.
    Any thoughts on how someone turns a hobby into job?

Thanks - I appreciate any and all comments you have.
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    If you're really serious, use a brick-and-mortar school opposed to on-line or correspondence. Better classes and more hands-on learning.
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

For a job, it is nice to do something you like. I would talk to some gunsmith's & see what they think. Don't know too many 'smiths, who think they are making more than enough $$. You do get some great bargains along the way. Most of the local ones here hold an FFL. Good luck. :)
  4. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

5. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

mlvonha:

While residence type gunsmithing schools (brick and mortor) certainly are the best, as they allow hands on experience no correspondence school can match, not many working people can afford to be away from home for the two years that most such schools require.

An alternative is a good correspondence school with a real course of study that concentrates on theory of operation with examples done on camera. Believe me there is a lot more to gunsmithing than adjusting adjustable triggers, bedding rifles, finishing stocks, and other mundane gun related tasks. Gunsmiths get guns in that have real problems that take problem solving techniques to fix. Without knowing the theory of operation a student of gunsmithing would be lost. The correspondence schools I see advertising in "Popular Mechanics" seem to only offer the easy gunsmithing tasks leaving the student without the proper mental tools.

On the other hand American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) offers what I would think to be a better alternative. Their course of study is over 100 hours of video, with along the way testing and with a certificate of completion at he end. I would think anyone having completed such a course of study would make a fine apprentice to a real gunsmith and could learn the hands on stuff over time. Or after completing the course the student could start taking on his friends errant guns and build his experience over time while holding down his regular job. As the course is offered on DVD's the student could refer back to the specific guns sections of the course as needed. Add to that the AGI detailed "How To" videos on the most popular guns and you may have gunsmithing covered. The AGI course is taught by the former head (now retired) of a resident school of gunsmithing in Northern California who had his own gunsmithing shop on the side. His teaching technique is excellent and is augmented by his many years of experience at gunsmithing. I think AGI is worth looking into in detail for your father. The few AGI video courses I have are absolutely excellent!

LDBennett
  6. sck

sck Member

I seem to remember something about a cooperative program between the NRA and some trade or technical school where they taught gunsmithing classes during the summer. I think there were about three of four of these locations around the country where you went and stayed for 4-8 weeks during the summer and learned about one specific aspect of gunsmithing. I'll look around and see what I can find, but if you haven't found it on the NRA's website, it may not exist anymore. There is also a school in North Carolina that teaches gunsmithing. It's not far from the place where Remington moved after they left New York. In fact, I understand that Remington has a couple of the instructors of this school work on some things for them now and then. Best of luck and happy smithing -- Steve
  7. mlvonha

mlvonha New Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. :)
  8. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*