Gunsmithing tip

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by searcher5, Oct 18, 2004.

1. searcher5

searcher5 New Member

This may be old hat to some of you pros, but this is something that I have found quite useful when working on firearms. I was putting a ruger 10/22 trigger back together today, when I thought of a tip that might be useful to others. When you are putting a part together that is comprised of several different parts utilizing the same pin, if you don't have the correct size slave pin, (as most of us never do)use a dowel rod, or a wooden match or toothpick. You can either cut or sand them down to the right size,put the part assembly in place, and then just push the temporary pin out with the real pin.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The smooth end of a drill also works nicely.
  3. 4 eyed six shooter

4 eyed six shooter New Member

Great tip. I keep an old chewing tabacco can and every time that I make a new slave pin, I throw it in the can. I now have a sizable collection of slave pins. Keep on the look out for old pins and pieces of metal rod that can be made into pins as needed.
    Good shooting, John K
  4. allmons

allmons New Member

Excellent tip! Thank you!

:D
  5. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

I have used finish nails for years and years. Snip the ends and polish, if ya lose them.....pull some out of yer cabinets...lol

LTS
  6. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

I use a refridgerator magnet on the side of my toolbox to keep them handy, just pull off the one you need!