Guys what do I have here?? Im confused?? Hi power B-Aires

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by notsure, Oct 10, 2010.

1. notsure

notsure New Member

Hello guys,

Im new here but had to ask the pros among the ranks here what the heck do I have here??
    I picked up a HI- Power browing from a local gun shop.
    I paid 250.00 for it and I knew I got a deal,but I hear some Hp's are worth more than others and I feel I have a real honey here.I have been doing some reading but seem to run into a brick wall via not much is out there on this pistol from what I see.Im sure Im wrong,lol.
    That serial number seems awful low is that a factor as well?

Anyone here know what this is and its value its beautiful,and fun to shoot I know that.
    Any help would be appretitated.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/Notsure01/browning hi power/P1080969.jpg
    http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/Notsure01/browning hi power/P1080965.jpg
    http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/Notsure01/browning hi power/P1080966.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I got one of them. Buenas Aires police trade-in. Does yours, by chance, have a big gouge in the L/H grip?

[​IMG]

I've always wondered if there was some type of emblem or something inletted into the grip, and they took it out and that's why the gouge, but I've never seen another BA cop trade-in.

I think you got a steal. I paid almost three for mine, in January of '99. Mine's in the 6 thousands, not the fours, and yours has been refinished. Mine is parkerized and the stampings are sharp. On your pic that shows the SN, the P on Policia has almost been polished out.
  3. notsure

notsure New Member

No not at all no gouge the grips they are like new marked with FN logo in like a line across the grip.
    I love this pistol just shot it the other day and really got to scratching my head knowing not what I have here.
    I just picked up a new lightly used para night watch companion ..I like this browning more,lol.
    Something about these slim framed semi's Im hooked on.Just feels right in my hand.
    The finish on the gun is deep and looks great I wonder what year it is as well as that serial number is low.Any help here would be appretiated ..Thankyou.
  4. notsure

notsure New Member

5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The marking indicates it belonged to the Provincial Police in Buenos Aires Province, not to the city police. The other marking indicates the internal security section, but exactly what that means I don't know. In the U.S. it would probably the police branch charged with security within the police department itself, but the Argentine meaning may be different.

It looks like the gun was heavily buffed and reblued, probably either before sale or by the importer. IMHO, it was still worth the amount paid just as a gun; the collector value is a bonus.

Jim
  6. notsure

notsure New Member

Sounds great guys Im still researching it as it is a sweet gun no doubt Im just wondering its value as I dont want it handed down someday and pawned for chump change etc..So its like almost grading coins the more detail retained the better if I understand this right.
    Im very respective to any info I thankyou all Im not thin skinned just need the skinny :)
    Thankyou Jim for your input here most appretiated .That goes to all as Im a newbie here and to this stuff.
    So I suspect its valuve is only about 300 or so?:confused:
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Collectors want guns in as close to original as possible. If the gun has been refinished, then it has no original finish, and collector value goes down. Personally, I think that's a good thing. A gun, or anything else, should be valued on it, not on who owned it once or what war it was used in or anything else. Apparently, though, I'm the only one that thinks like that. My gun lost its collector value when I took out the magazine safety and pitched it. Made it a better-working gun, but now it's "not original".

As to the serial number, all it really means is yours is older than mine. But, without something to go by as to how many they made, how much older is impossible to tell. If they were making 8 thousand a month, yours is a week older than mine. If they made a thousand a year then yours is two years older than mine. :confused:

300 is probably about right.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Spoken like a true collector, but pristine, unfired, guns don't come along all the time and they seldom have interesting markings or any history at all. It is ironic that the really interesting guns, the "if it could talk" guns, are usually in much less than perfect condition.

Jim
  9. notsure

notsure New Member

Thanks guys for all the good input here on this matter it is most appretiated.
    Seems like I do have an interesting gun here via its markings and such,wish it was not blued however now I know why I got it so cheap..I love the thing no matter what as its great shooter no doubt.
    I may pick up another at a local show sometime as I like the concept of duals,lol one for each hand however now I know what to look for via the info here.I like the low cost ammo :)9mm is not my fav round however it makes for some fun plinking,and carry practice.
    Many thankyous guys :)
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  10. larryh1108

larryh1108 New Member

The internal extractor means it was made pre-1963. Do any markings show if it was made in Europe or South America? Because it was pre 1963 I feel it is worth a little more than $300 but not a lot more if it was refinished. If it was made in Europe I feel it will be worth more than if it was made in Argentina. IMO of course. Everyone places values a little differently. It's actually worth what someone will pay you for it. If I was in the market to buy it I would offer $400-$450.
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Since you looked at the 2nd pic, which showed no external extractor, why didn't you also look at the 3rd one, which clearly states "FN, Herstal, Belgique"? :confused: :p
  12. larryh1108

larryh1108 New Member

:p Because I was in a hurry? Also, I know a bit because I have 4 BHPs but I also know there are a LOT more people out there who know a LOT more about their history. I gave more info than was needed to inform. I do know that Argentina produced pistols under contract and thought is was strange that Buenos Aires would buy them from Europe instead of their neighbor unless they were not made in Argentina at that time. I learned to never assume anything.
  13. notsure

notsure New Member

Im searching the web for info as well and Im running dry to some extent..
    I appretiate any or all comments on this issue thankyou guys..
    I could take macro pics of the markings and will do just that soon enough.I buy cool guns dont really collect for the sake of true collecting however I have fun at it to a minimum or as funds allow.I guess My most expensive gun is a rifle Armalite AR15 scoped flatop,or my Para Black Watch 45.(LDA).So you see I have nothing really cool like an old colt etc...
    Other than that its hit or miss in my little collection compared to many of yours.
    I wish I had the funds to go ape at gun shows I may be on the look out for another in the same conditon via the info here shared.The guns value to a buyer/shooter is of main interest to me,and its possible history.Collectors input is always welcome however sometimes its hard to put into prespective at first,as I consider myself a novice of sorts.

I do like this HP 9mm it fits me like a glove and at 10 yrds it groups as tight as any other pistol I have once you get used to the primative iron sights.Great close range handgun as its low recoil allows quick retargeting.
    Can yah tell Im a big fan of this gun it has never jammed or rejected ammo in any way..The extra 30 round clip is laughable,and weighs a ton loaded..Fun Gun seems very versitile for it day almost like a mini managble 1911 45..

Impressed hell yes,and hope to learn more as it makes for a great ccw as well.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  14. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

many years ago when i worked for our uncle and had to strap a 45 on my side i was happy , great gun love em to death until i was assigned a brief stint with a british outfit and they used hi-powers. since then and it's been more years than i care to recall i've used a hi-power for all my assignments. i've semi retired to a consultant role now and when pressed into service and i have the option of any gun you can think of i still strap on a browning.
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hmm. Well, Buenos Aires is not a "neighbor" of Argentina; the last I heard it is IN Argentina. And Argentina did not produce the BHP under contract, it produced the pistol under license at its government factory for use by the Argentine armed forces and police, not for sale on the market.

The Argentine military practice seems to be to purchase weapons from other countries for testing and limited issue then, if they are satisfactory, to secure licenses for domestic production. This was the practice followed with the Colt Government Model, Mauser rifles, and the FAL as well as the BHP.

Jim