H&R 158 Hornet

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by etteroc27, Jun 9, 2012.

1. etteroc27

etteroc27 New Member

I just bought a H&R Model 158 in 22 Hornet. The outside is very good, but the barrell shows a little pitting close to the chamber end. I am slowly getting it clean, but it will take a week or so. The serial number is BA407xxx. I would like to know the date of manufacture, as I have been told I can't get a new barrel for it if it is too old. I haven't given up on this barrel yet, but I would like a 20 ga. bbl for it also. If I have to, where could I find a Hornet bbl. for it other than the factory?

Thanks, Tom
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Manufactured after 1982, Have you even shot it yet? pitting unless it is very severe does not adversely effect accuracy.. I have seen very eroded barrels shoot MOA.
  3. etteroc27

etteroc27 New Member

Not yet. I'm hoping that it will perform well. I found H&R's website, and they will not put a barrel on if it was made after 2000. I'm still letting this one soak with hoppes and wire brushing it. I had to order dies and brass, so I won't know how it does for a week or so.

Thanks for the information. Tom
  4. Skipper

Skipper Active Member

Tom, check your private messages
  5. etteroc27

etteroc27 New Member

Thanks Skipper. I'm looking.
  6. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I had a singleshot Savage with the area ahead of chamber pitted. Did not seem to affect accuracy. Used it on lots of called fox , one bobcat and out West lots of prairie dogs and a couple of badgers( did I say badgers? Surely not because that is not legal)