H&R 16 Ga.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rdbug70, Jul 24, 2011.

1. rdbug70

rdbug70 New Member

I have the opertunity to become the new owner of a H&R 16 Ga. single shot break action that only has the numbers 2818 stamped in the receiver and barrel. I have read many post's all over the web talking about the letter "A" or "I" in the serial number. But this one has no other number or letter's there or even a model number of any kind on it. I will try to get a few photo's on here to help.
    Any ideas what year it might have been made ? I really don't care about its "value" just want to know if I should restore it or go ahead and make it into my new sawed-off bed side arm or not. It is in rough shape but looks to still be usable, will know more after a cleaning off of the years of barn dust on it.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

rdbug 70,
    Welcome to the forum! H&R made quite a few shotguns - most of the large bore single barrel guns derived from either the Model 1900 (with removable hinge pin for take down) or the Model 1908 (with snap off fore stock for take down.) There are other Models, but these two are the most commonly found. I'll need a bit more description of the action, stampings on the receiver (left side), where exactly you found the serial numbers, butt plate, hammer (or hammerless), action break lever on top of rear tang, etc. or a couple clear photos - the info supplied just doesn't bring a clear picture to mind. Looking forward to more info.
  3. rdbug70

rdbug70 New Member

Jim,
    Sorry it took me so long to reply. Here are some photos of it.
    [​IMG]
  4. rdbug70

rdbug70 New Member

5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Here you go:

[​IMG]
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

rdbug 70,
    That pieces looks to be a very early example of the Model 1908. The Model 1908 went into production in late 1908 or 1909 - with that serial number (since the model was serialed in its own consecutive range) it is more than likely made within the first couple months of production - no later than very early in 1909. It is in very nearly "relic" condition - so, has no value as a collectible. Even in high condition, Very Good to Excellent, these guns top out at around 140 to 150 bucks. Most seen are 12 ga CHOKE with 20 and 28 ga following in lesser numbers, so 16 is a bit scarce and a 24 ga piece will bring a collectible premium. The model was offered with auto ejecting or extracting feature - yours looks to be the extractor version. My impression of the value - $25 - $35, as is. The 1st Variation of the 1909 was chambered for 2 1/2" shells, through out the gauges - so you, if you intend to shoot it, should have a gunsmith check the chamber depth for correct shell length.
    One VERY COMMON problem with this model from that era is the wearing of the barrel lug and latch - they're not self adjusting. If the lock-up is loose - the gun may open upon firing. Check it out. It should be capable, if safe to fire, of handling low pressure modern loads - velocity of less than 1225 fps, 1 oz or less payload of bird shot. I personally, wouldn't stress it with more vigorous loads - maybe topping out with a mild #4 buck load. AGAIN, it may be chambered for 2 1/2" shells unless modified. Be careful.
    (thanks for the assist from StoneChimney)

IMG_2315_2.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg
  7. rdbug70

rdbug70 New Member

Thanks for the information. So chopping the 16Ga. barrel that is in rough shape shouldn't upset any collector .
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Have at it, sir.