1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H&R 1871 buffalo classic question

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by sharpie443, Oct 16, 2012.

1. sharpie443

sharpie443 New Member

Need some advice on my latest purchase.

I've wanted a .45-70 or better yet a .45-90 sharps for a very long time now but the $1300 price tag is not going to be in the budget any time soon. I did however find out about the H&R 1871 buffalo classic this week. I had never run across one of them before and didn't even know that they existed. I like the look of them a lot and after reading a few reviews I went out and dropped the cash on one. It's on it's way to my FFl dealer now but i do have on question for anyone who knows about these firearms.

I'm not all that interested in firing the new hot loaded .45-70 out of it. I've shot those in a marlin guide gun and they beat the heck out of me. The reason I wanted the sharps was to shoot black powder loads out of it and see how far out i could get with it. I'm ordering some Creedmoor Vernier Tang Sights http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/883/2/RS-CREED-5-WE from track of the wolf for the H&R for that purpose.

my question is whether or not this rifle will shoot a low velocity black powder loads well or if it is just set up for modern smokeless loads. I know that it would need a faster twist rate to shoot the black powder loads but i don't know if the manufacturer took into account people who would want to shoot it with black powder. I also don't know who much of a difference there is between the proper twist rate for BP vs smokeless so I don't know how big of a deal it is.

I've already ordered the rifle so it's not going to prevent me from buying it but i don't want to go loading up thirty black powder .45-70 cartridges or buy some cowboy action loads just to have them keyhole.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
  2. duelist1954

duelist1954 Member

I have a .45-70 H&R Handi Rifle that I use almost exclusively for black powder loads. It is very accurate and fun to shoot.