H&R 1871 buffalo classic question

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by sharpie443, Oct 16, 2012.

1. sharpie443

sharpie443 New Member

Need some advice on my latest purchase.

I've wanted a .45-70 or better yet a .45-90 sharps for a very long time now but the $1300 price tag is not going to be in the budget any time soon. I did however find out about the H&R 1871 buffalo classic this week. I had never run across one of them before and didn't even know that they existed. I like the look of them a lot and after reading a few reviews I went out and dropped the cash on one. It's on it's way to my FFl dealer now but i do have on question for anyone who knows about these firearms.

I'm not all that interested in firing the new hot loaded .45-70 out of it. I've shot those in a marlin guide gun and they beat the heck out of me. The reason I wanted the sharps was to shoot black powder loads out of it and see how far out i could get with it. I'm ordering some Creedmoor Vernier Tang Sights http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/883/2/RS-CREED-5-WE from track of the wolf for the H&R for that purpose.

my question is whether or not this rifle will shoot a low velocity black powder loads well or if it is just set up for modern smokeless loads. I know that it would need a faster twist rate to shoot the black powder loads but i don't know if the manufacturer took into account people who would want to shoot it with black powder. I also don't know who much of a difference there is between the proper twist rate for BP vs smokeless so I don't know how big of a deal it is.

I've already ordered the rifle so it's not going to prevent me from buying it but i don't want to go loading up thirty black powder .45-70 cartridges or buy some cowboy action loads just to have them keyhole.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
  2. duelist1954

duelist1954 Member

I have a .45-70 H&R Handi Rifle that I use almost exclusively for black powder loads. It is very accurate and fun to shoot.