H+R 1888 .22 cal pistol

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by knucklebuster, Feb 5, 2012.

1. knucklebuster

knucklebuster New Member

I have a H+A 1888 .22 cal. pistol which is in great shape with action being tight and cylinder advancing with trigger pull. Question is will this shoot a modern.22 short cartridge?

Attached Files:

2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Probably, but why not stick with CB or Aguila Colibri?
  3. Ken W

Ken W New Member

I would definitely advise against using any high powered rounds in this revolver. At most CB Shorts at 710 FPS. Preferably Aguila Colibri as suggested by StoneChimney above.
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

The industry change over from black powder/semi-black powder, mixed powders and a few others to smokeless powder occurred in 1930 when Remington issued their all smokeless Hi-Speed .22 cartridge lines. Gun manufacturers had to rush to catch up with designs that would protect the shooter from the frequent burst shell casings, head separations and blow outs. Shooting any type of modern smokeless .22 ammo in one of those older guns can/will expose the shooter and anyone in his close proximity to the possibility of being injured by flying brass pieces and/or hot gas eruptions from the breech end of the un-improved, non-safety type cylinders. Safety cylinders arose in the 1930 to 1935 period - WHEN these types of problems were, apparently from the literature of that time, fairly frequent.
    I use Aguila Colibri or Super Colibri non powder loaded cartridges to test fire ALL my pre-1930 H&R .22s, as suggested by Stone Chimney and Ken W.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  5. knucklebuster

knucklebuster New Member

I thank you all for that info. I was thinking along those lines but just wanted to be sure. Bart
  6. RJay

RJay Active Member

As Mr. Hauff and the others posted, CB ammo can be a lot of fun and low noise:)
  7. birddogo1e

birddogo1e New Member

Have a 22 short H&R Victor SN 60xxx which I estimate, based on data from other posts in this forum, to have been made around 1916. Based on remarks in this thread, I wonder if I can safely fire Remington 22 shorts in this revolver. It is in very good condition and as it has an unfluted cylinder I would think this makes for a stronger cylinder and should be safe to fire modern 22 short cartridges. Am I correct in my thinking?

Geezer in Dayton
  8. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

The super colibri is available from cheaper than dirt online. It will be quieter than anything else you will find.
  9. Ken W

Ken W New Member

Geezer, Like I stated above a few months ago you can shoot modern shorts through these old revolvers but only CB's at 710 FPS is advisable, such as the ones I linked below. Ammo such as Remington High Velocity shorts rate at 1095 fps. This could very make the difference between a fun day at the range versus one where you and/or your gun are damaged.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-CCI26
  10. birddogo1e

birddogo1e New Member

Ken;

Thanks for the confirmation. Founds lots of 22 Shorts in the Dayton area so don't have to pay the tarrif for shipping. Would still like to get response on guesstimated date of manufacture.

Geezer in Dayton