H&R 1908 shotgun question for Mr. Hauff

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Shooter91, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Shooter91

Shooter91 New Member

Mr Hauff, that H&R shotgun is still at Gander Mountain for sale. I looked it over and it seems pretty good. I'm not sure if it was made for 2 3/4 shells or shorter ones. Not sure what year it was made either but here are some markings off the gun

Left side of the receiver is marked:
    HARRINGTON AND RICHARDSON ARMS COMPANY
    WORCESTER MASS, U.S.A PAT FEB 27 1900
    Top of barrel is marked 12 GA CHOKE

The serial number under that tang is A343452

The gun does have a square pistol grip, not the round type.

Lastly, the barrel lever on the top of the tang has a screw at the top holding it on. My bay state doesn't have that screw on the lever.

Thank You for any info. Will
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Will,
    Taken some time on researching - not really studied before (as far as I can tell) is the screw vs non-screw in the top lever action break. It looks as though the screw type was used into the early '30s. The most modern example I have doesn't have the screw and a serial number (Model 08 STANDARD) in the 899K range and this 4th Var. dates from 1931- 1936 period. I don't know the production rates nor is there a guide with s/n to year info for this model (ANOTHER LONG TERM RESEARCH PROJECT). Bill G's notes indicate that the 2nd Variation of the M1908 was issued circa 1922 to circa 1930 - but there is no s/n range. This variation initiated the 2 3/4" chamber and had a "long, slim forestock". I'm strongly inclined to believe your gun with a 343K serial number was made during this Variational run and therefore should have a 2 3/4" chamber. This is based mostly on speculation and extrapolation. In conclusion: I don't have enough shotgun examples (I concentrated on handguns) to give you good solid advise. A Gunsmith can tell you within a minute, using a barrel/chamber gauge.

IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg