H&R .22 RIM FIRE 7 Shot - What is the AGE and MODEL?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dharris27858, Dec 7, 2011.

1. dharris27858

dharris27858 New Member

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone know any information about the .22 Cal pistol that is pictured below. From my research I have been able to conclude that this is an H&R brand pistol due to the design of the handle.

It is a very small pistol (pocket sized), looks very old, 7 shot revolver, and reads "22 RIM FIRE" on the side of the barrel. This pistol has no other markings other than the serial number which is 6-digits all numerical: 114XXX

Given this information and photo, can anyone tell what model this pistol is and around what year it may have been manufactured?

Thanks.

[​IMG]
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

dharris,
    Welcome to the forum.
    From your description and the picture, your gun "appears" to the small frame variant in the VICTOR line. H&R used the name VICTOR on less expensive examples of several of their solid frame/pull-pin cylinder release DA/SA revolvers from circa 1911-12 up into the 1930s. This line had round barrels (rather than octagonal) and unfluted cylinders and were sold through hardware stores and brand name catalogues, etc. The small frame .22 was a variant of the YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION. The serial number indicates production (this is a WAG based upon the examples in my collection) in the late 19teens to early 1920's - can't get much closer at this time.
    The ONE question I have is the lack of the VICTOR name stamped into the top strap and no H&R company stamp in the butt strap. H&R made occasional "small batches" of handguns with no markings other than cartridge on left side of barrel and serial number - for "unknown" customers. H&R called these unmarked guns "NO NAME" in their records.
    If there are no other markings than the cartridge and serial number - you may have one of the mystery guns.

IMG_1154_2.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1159_2.jpg
  3. dharris27858

dharris27858 New Member

Jim,

That's correct as for the markings. There is no brand name markings or nothing other than "22 RIM FIRE" on the barrel, and S/N "114172" on the bottom.

It looks very similar to the first pistol in your line of photos, but seems to have a longer barrel.
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

d.
    Thanks for the follow-up. So with no brand or manufacturer's markings - I'd say you have one of the scarce "NO NAME" guns which had a mysterious destination.
    Looking at your picture, again - I agree about the barrel length. The one I pictured is 2 1/2" measured from the front/muzzle face of the cylinder to the muzzle of the barrel - yours looks to be at least 3" or maybe 4" depending upon the aspect of the pic.
  5. dharris27858

dharris27858 New Member

Thanks again for your response Jim.

The barrel does appear to be about 3" or so, I photographed it in front of a $1 bill so you can get an idea of the aspect ratio.

It's condition is probably about the same as the 2nd pistol in your line of photos. It is still fully functional, no missing parts, and still fires great. With the serial number "114172", what year could you estimate that it may have been manufactured? And what would you say it's estimated worth may be?

Thanks for your help!
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

d.
    The "No Name" guns seem to have been serialed in the same series as the VICTORS - I'm guessing at 1920 - 22 for your gun, with absolutely nothing to back that up, except intuition. There is supposed to be a set of serial numbers to dates of manufacture out "there", although I've not had the opportunity to access it - getting closer tho' - perhaps one of these days we'll all have a rude awakening and find all the dates that Bill G. and I have been quoting are off by a bit???
    As to value - ???? - that's a tough one - depending upon how and to whom that piece is presented it has minimal to half-way decent value. Low end to someone that wants a shootable, small frame - maybe $100. To an H&R collector (not many around, but the numbers are growing) it may be worth $300 as a scarce curiosity. I paid $250 (which was a lot of money for a run-of-the-mill H&R at the time I purchased it) to a friend and fellow collector for my "NO NAME" gun - simply because I didn't have one and he had a "few" and allowed one to come visit me for a while.
    Hey, get a ruler and measure that barrel - from the front of the cylinder to the end of the muzzle - I have a compelling NEED to know the barrel length.;)
  7. dharris27858

dharris27858 New Member

Measuring the barrel, it is actually only 2"! Front tip to the front of the cylinder.. I had figured it was longer as compared to your 2 1/2, unless the frame is just smaller.

Granted I paid $50 for it, it looks like I got a pretty decent deal.
  8. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

If that's a real dollar bill in the pic you posted, your barrel is about 3" long.