H & R 32 break open trigger spring

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by bobnos, Feb 9, 2012.

1. bobnos

bobnos New Member

help! fixing an old H&R. looks like from posts it's a 5Th var. last date april 7 1896. serial # on frame under handle 25823. hammered model. trigger will not return after being pulled. I took it apart to try and analyz, cleaned, polished (3m pad) oiled and reassembled, but still the same. everything works, double action, single action, half click safety, cylinder rotates, but I need to manually push triger forward. I believe the return spring is missing, and belongs under the trigger guard,into the notch on the trigger. how do I determine if I need the v type or the flat type? any pics or sketches appreciated. also suggestions on where to buy. thanks, bob
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

An H&R will use a V spring, but no one makes those springs like the original. Gun Parts has only the new wire type which, IMHO, don't work very well. Wolff sells a kit but you are buying more than you need and will have to fit the spring in any case.

I suggest contacting StoneChimney who posts on this site; his shop will work on those guns, something most gunsmiths won't do.

Jim
  3. bobnos

bobnos New Member

Jim, thanks for the response. I see wolf sells v (#7) and flat (#8),that they say is for H & R, and that is my question. you think the v style? they have "blitz packs" for 10 bucks, and my buddy is willing to take a chance on that. hoping to make it functional, but only as a "looker". I don't feel confortable shooting even with the black powder it's designed for. plus I don't know where we'd even find those cartidges. thanks again, bob
    http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=4&mID=132