1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H & R 32 break open trigger spring

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by bobnos, Feb 9, 2012.

1. bobnos

bobnos New Member

help! fixing an old H&R. looks like from posts it's a 5Th var. last date april 7 1896. serial # on frame under handle 25823. hammered model. trigger will not return after being pulled. I took it apart to try and analyz, cleaned, polished (3m pad) oiled and reassembled, but still the same. everything works, double action, single action, half click safety, cylinder rotates, but I need to manually push triger forward. I believe the return spring is missing, and belongs under the trigger guard,into the notch on the trigger. how do I determine if I need the v type or the flat type? any pics or sketches appreciated. also suggestions on where to buy. thanks, bob
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

An H&R will use a V spring, but no one makes those springs like the original. Gun Parts has only the new wire type which, IMHO, don't work very well. Wolff sells a kit but you are buying more than you need and will have to fit the spring in any case.

I suggest contacting StoneChimney who posts on this site; his shop will work on those guns, something most gunsmiths won't do.

Jim
  3. bobnos

bobnos New Member

Jim, thanks for the response. I see wolf sells v (#7) and flat (#8),that they say is for H & R, and that is my question. you think the v style? they have "blitz packs" for 10 bucks, and my buddy is willing to take a chance on that. hoping to make it functional, but only as a "looker". I don't feel confortable shooting even with the black powder it's designed for. plus I don't know where we'd even find those cartidges. thanks again, bob
    http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=4&mID=132