H&R 32 break top

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by nbanders, Mar 6, 2012.

1. nbanders

nbanders New Member

I've aquired a nice little H&R 32 top break, wondering if some one has more information about it. It's blued, left side of the barrel marked PREMIER 32 S.&W. CTGE. The top of the barrel is marked HARRINGTON & RICHARDSONS ARMS COMPANY WORCESTER. MASS U.S.A. PAT OCT. 8. 1895.
    The right side has what appear to be proof marks, crown over BP and crown over RV on the barrel and frame. The same marks are in each flute of the cylinders. Serial number is 178351. I'm thinking the proof marks may have something to do with importing it. (I'm in Canada)
    Any information would be helpful, thanks.
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

nbanders,
    You have a 2nd Model PREMIER SMALL FRAME 3rd Variation made between 1909 and 1913. It is chambered for the .32 S&W (the shorter one) smokeless cartridges. Blued finish in that mod and var. is scarce adding to collectibility. Barrel length (anything other than the standard 3") will add more value. This gun would top out around $290 US in the current market - lesser condition, lesser value down to under 100 bucks for parts gun.
    The proof marks are for the Birmingham England proof and view house. My guess it was sent to England (sold into England) by H&R at the time of manufacture - H&R sold lots of guns to England, the Colonial Holdings and later Dominion states and at one time was licensed to "proof" guns meant for such sale at their factory in Worchester, Mass - for sale without further proof at destination. I'm not clear on whether H&R applied the markings, or if your gun was final proofed in Birmingham. In any case, you have a fine collectible item - can't tell you how it got to Canada, though.
    A little more info on the physical attributes of your gun, or a couple good pics would satisfy my craving to see H&Rs from other parts of the world as well as allow better eval. of the condition and potential value.
  3. nbanders

nbanders New Member

It's in remarkably good shape for its age, I'll dig out my digital camera and see if I can post a pic.
  4. nbanders

nbanders New Member

OK Jim, heres a couple of pics. If you look closely you can see the proof marks on the right side below the barrel, below the cylinder and in the flutes.
    It indexes nicely and seems tight enough, I guess it should be safe to shoot?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

nbanders - Thanks for the follow-up pic. That one is in great shape - the "proofs" obviously add historical and collectible interest - value????? It's not standard - the markings would obviously extend the interest from the purely H&R collector standpoint to "other" collectors.
    As to safety - if in doubt get it checked - I can't evaluate from pics - nor would you want me or anyone else to do so. It was made to handle smokeless .32 S&W cartridges - modern factory loads aren't much, if any, more energetic today than back then - so if not cracked, bulged, ringed, off time, etc. - it should be good to go.
  6. nbanders

nbanders New Member

Thanks for all your help. These little guns are not very common up here and any information is greatly appreciated.
  7. ZoeBear

ZoeBear New Member

Heh everyone,
    I've been reading all these threads about h&r top breaks but I've not seen or heard anything abount "MANUAL EJECT". Are these uncommon?
    Also mine has no patent # or dates on top.

Ha, makes me feel like an outcast.....
  8. hrf

hrf Active Member

See reply to your other post.