H&R .32 cal. revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bigfred, Oct 30, 2011.

1. bigfred

bigfred New Member

I have recently inherited a revolver belonging to my great grandfather. Across the top of the barrel is embossed 'harrington & richardson arms company, worcester mass. u.s.a. pat. apr.2.'95 apr.7.'96.' On the left side of the barrel is printed 'premier 32 s.&w.cige.'. At the gun butt, is the number 139139. The number 139 is also embossed on the revolving cylinder and on the shell ejector. It is a top break 5 shot pistol. It has automatic shell ejection. It has black plastic grips with trademark H&R target symbol embossed on both sides. There are no other markings on the gun. Please tell me what I have and more importanlty is the pistol safe to shoot modern smokeless powder. thanks very much
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

bigfred,
    Welcome to the forum.
    You have a 2nd MODEL PREMIER 2nd VARIATION made between 1906 and 1908. It was made to handle the SMOKELESS/NITRO powder loaded .32 S&W (the short one) cartridge. If it is in safe condition to shoot, it should be able to handle any modern, factory loaded .32 S&W cartridge without harming the piece or the shooter.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  3. pt2436

pt2436 New Member

I am just starting in the gunsmith areana and I just had a customer bring in a H&R .32 Top Break 6 shot, Auto Eject, to find out what he had.
    the s/n 2229 was under the grip and is also under ejector on cylinder.
    Nickel, blued trigger guard
    barrel length is 3 1/4
    Cylinder length 1 1/4
    black plastic grips
    top of barrel reads (HARRINGTON&RICHARDSON,WORSCESTER,MASS.U.S.A.), no pat. dates anywhere, no calib. markings on barrel or anywhere on the gun.
    What is it?
    Is there anywhere I can go to find a disassembly instruction. I have been trying to get the cylinder off, my gunsmith notes says it unscrews when you pull cylinder away from barrel and unscrew, not working.
    any suggestions, thanks
  4. dlink

dlink New Member

I too am new to the forum and 'inherited' an H&R 5 shot 32 caliber pistol. It has imprinted on the top of the barrel (on 2 lines) "H&R Arms Co." one one line and "Worcester, Mass, U.S.A." below that. The left side of the barrel states "32 Cal. S&W CTGE" and the number on the bottom of the grip is 324 601 (space between the 4 & 6 numbers). That same number is on the revolving cylinder. The barrel is 2" longThe pistol is nickel plated, except for the trigger, and is in pretty good shape other than it needs cleaning. The plastic pistol grips are like new, and have the target symbols. Any thoughts on the age of the gun and it's worth? Thanks!
  5. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member