h&r .32 model 732

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by fredee12, Sep 6, 2012.

1. fredee12

fredee12 New Member

hi, im new here, and iv just got a h&r model 732 revolver. I dont know much about the gun, i want to see if i could get some information about it. the serial number is AE33331 if this helps. can somebody tell me what types of ammunition it used. I know i can use s&w short and long. Can I use a .32 magnum round in this gun. and could somebody tell me how old this gun is and what it would be worth, iv done some research but cant really find that particular information. thanks very much.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Manufactured in 1968, it is designed to use .32 short and .32 long ammo only. It was not designed to use .32 magnum . If fact .32 magnum ammo should not even chamber in your revolver, the magnum cartridge was made longer to prevent people from using it in the older guns.
  3. fredee12

fredee12 New Member

alright, thanks, didnt realize it was that old, i was expecting maybe 80s or so. I read somewere that you can buy a chamber that will fit the magnum. but is the gun strong enough to handle a magnum round? Any idea what it would be worth, i paid 100 bucks for it, to help a friend out. i read someweres that it not worth much which is ok, cause i bought it just to help a friend out so dont really care if i was ripped off. Niether one of us new much about it. thank you very much for the help.
  4. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

You weren't ripped off - just about any gun store would ask more than $100 for a working H&R 732. I doubt anyone ever manufactured 32 Magnum cylinders for it, altho there's no telling what some backyard "gunsmith" may have tried.

BTW, 32 Long ammo is very pleasant to shoot, altho you have to look long and hard to find it at a decent price. I think wadcutters are the best loads, but of course opinions vary, and mostly you have to take what you can get - it's not common stuff any more. That's why the H&Rs in 22 sell for more money.
  5. fredee12

fredee12 New Member

yea, iv shot a few 32 long rounds it seems decent enough, i tried to find some today and all i found was 32 automatic rounds at wal mart. wasnt sure what the differance was but a buddy of mine told me about a gun shop close to me, i may try them. would the automatics work for my gun. thank you very much for the help
  6. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

You're very welcome!

32 Auto will fit in the gun, and will go off most of the time (the rim is thinner, so the firing pin may not hit the primer as hard), but it's actually a higher pressure load than 32 Long, so it's a bad idea.

A few other things:

1) 32 Auto is a shorter round than 32 Long, so you can get a ring of fouling built up that makes it had to chamber 32 Long.

2) I've heard different things about accuracy - some say it's lousy because 32 Long bullets are lead and .312 and 32 Auto is jacketed and .308, others say say they get good results. I never wanted to find out the hard way.

3) Because the 32 Auto rim is smaller in diameter as well as thickness, extraction can be poor.

All the above is just my two cents, but I don't think anybody here would tell you to use 32 Auto (aka 32 ACP, 7.65mm Browning) except in a last-ditch emergency.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  7. fredee12

fredee12 New Member

i read on another site the the 32 acp was fine, didnt know it was the same as the auto. but based on this information, i think im gonna stick with the .32 long, and may try the wadcutters. This only leaves one more question. What would something like this be worth, its in really good shape, it has a few light scratches here and there, but that it. It shoots great. iv seen people say anywere from 100 to over 200, but could someone give me somethin a little more accurate. thanks
  8. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Wish I could help you, but I stopped getting to gun shows 4-5 years ago. I don't know what anything sells for anymore, unless I am looking for it on one of the gun auction websites. People asked more than $100 for H&R 632s back when I was going to shows, so I figured they were worth more now.
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

About 140 to 175, give or take. . The 32 long is a very accurate round and for self defence, well it wouldn't be my first choice with all of the today's modern firearms but it also can do it's intended work. Prior to the 1950's many of the nations police carried a .32 revolver. When TR standardized the NY police departments firearms, the police were armed with revolvers chambered for the .32 S&W.
  10. fredee12

fredee12 New Member

thanks, thats pretty interesting. thank you everyone for the help