H&R .32 Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Blitzer, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Blitzer

Blitzer New Member

Hey there!

Iam living in the Netherland but i guessed posting it in a US forum will give me a more accurate answer.
    At the moment im planning on buying my first gun (iam a total noob) which is an antique H&R .32 Young American Bulldog.
    I was wondering if this gun is only suitable for black powder bullets or which bullets else?
    Hope you guys can help me out.

Greetings, Blitzer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Blitzer,
    Welcome to the forum.
    The YOUNG AMERICA BULLDOG is a variant of the "standard medium" solid frame revolver meant to fill the lower end of the utility grade line-up. Not saying it wasn't well made - it simply was intended for that niche and filled it well - with over a million examples made between circa 1884 and 1941 and virtually unchaged during that time period.
    H&R used the name "BULLDOG" exclusively for their RIMFIRE cartridge chambered revolvers - both the YOUNG AMERICA and the AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION (larger frame.)
    Your gun has a blued trigger guard and aluminum escutcheons on the grip panels, which indicates it was made after 1897. HOWEVER, I cannot make out a cartridge stamping on the left side of the barrel. If there it should read ".32 RIMFIRE" which means it is capable of handling smokeless/Nitro powder loaded cartridges and made in 1905 or later. If NOT stamped - it was meant to handle BLACK POWDER loaded cartridges and was made between 1897 and 1904. Check it out for markings.

IMG_1013_2.jpg
  3. Blitzer

Blitzer New Member

Thanks alot for the information this helped me alot, i will contact the salesman about the stampings.
  4. Blitzer

Blitzer New Member

so basically every antique gun which has rimfire can use modern ammo?
  5. Blitzer

Blitzer New Member

the salesman replied:
    '' the pin is flattened which is for pinfire, not pointy for central fire''
    '' there is a notch on the upperside of the frame where the flat side of the pin falls through''
    '' a rimfire gun doesnt always have to be marked''

so what do you think, can I thrust this guy? (he's an antique gunshop)
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Blitzer,
    Flattened - wedge pin is for RIM FIRE
    Notch is standard for the wedge pin
    Not all rimfire guns are marked as such

Don't know about the "basically" every antique gun which has rimfire can use modern ammo? I DO KNOW that rimfire Blackpowder loads can be different with respect to "pressure spike" than smokeless powder loads - I would be cautious with respect to that claim. IIRC, rim fire cartridges were routinely made into the 1940s and some companies do make modern small batch loadings at times. You'd need to check with the manufacturer to determine max. chamber pressures with modern loads - I suggest keeping that pressure under 10,000 psi.