1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H&R 32 s&w long topbreak; correct grain bullet?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by rlee5349, May 3, 2010.

1. rlee5349

rlee5349 New Member

Hi all. This seems to be the forum for H&R questions, so here goes. I recently purchased an H&R top break auto eject 6 shot 32 S&W long revolver. After I get it checked out by a gunsmith, I'd like to fire it a few times. My question is, does the grain of the bullet I use matter? The gun was made from 1913-15, based on information I've seen from other threads. Will a heavier bullet exert more force, and therefore be more dangerous to fire through an old gun, or should it be okay for any grain of bullet, as long as there is no problem with the gun? P.S. Just to be on the safe side, should I maybe fire 32 S&W shorts through it? Thanks in advance. I'll post some pics after I charge my camera.
  2. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Welcome to the forum.

If you read thru the H&R posts here you'll find the way to know if your gun was made to shoot black powder cartridges only. Yes, the 32 S&W is lower pressure than the long. You'll probably only find one weight of bullets for the 32 S&W long in factory loads. I have a H&R in 32 S&W long & if I remember the bullet weight is about 93 grains.

Top break revolvers should be checked for any looseness in the closure before shooting. Loose ones can open up when fired.
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Factory loads are an 88 grain bullet for the .32 S&W and a 98 grain bullet for the .32 S&W Long. There are no other bullet weights listed, so unless you choose to cast your own bullets and handload, that is it.

That gun should be fine with smokeless powder loads, but as with all old guns, I recommend against firing very much, not because of the type of powder, but because of the very high probability of breaking parts, especially springs.

Jim
  4. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member