H&R .32 top break revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by thomashp, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildcat51

Wildcat51 New Member

I have a 1st Model 1st Variation SMALL FRAME HAMMERLESS blue finished serial # 25527. It is probably in fair condition except it has a part that is broken. I don't know what it is called but it is the "T" shaped part that has the rear sight on it that latches when it is closed. Does anyone know where I can get this part? I would appreciate any help I can get.
    From the pictures I've seen in this thread it looks like this part was used on several of the top break models. If I can get it fixed I would be interested in getting some black powder rounds to fire it but I have no idea where to find them.
    Thanks in advanced for anyone who replies.
  2. Wildcat51

Wildcat51 New Member

I found in another thread a reference to Numrich. I looked for the part there and I believe the part is called a barrel catch. They had one for a New model hammerless but none for the old model hammerless. Will the new model part fit the pistol I have?
  3. boilerbldr

boilerbldr New Member

Hi Jim, this is my first time on, I just puschased a H&R 5 shot 32 cal top break revolver and did not know much about the gun. There is no writing on the outside of the barrel, the patent dates are oct 7 1887, may 14 89 these are on the barrel and on the strap it looks like april 2 95, april 7 1885, it is hard to see the last 2 numbers the s/n is 17441 and 7441 under the left handle, thanks
  4. Connell

Connell New Member

My brother wanted me to clean up his H&R 32 for him, and I thought I'd also try and find out more about it.

It's a five-shot hammerless with a 3" barrel, and is nickel plated with a blued trigger guard.

Printed on the barrel rib is:
    Harrington & Richardson Arms Co.
    Worcester, Massachusetts, U.S.A.

Printed on the left side of the barrel is:
    32 S&W CTGE

Serial number: 267xxx

Edit: Managed to find an old post from Bill Goforth and learned that it's a small frame hammerless second model, either sixth or seventh variation.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  5. mjanoplis

mjanoplis New Member

Hi Jim;
    I have a 32 H&R 1st model 1st variant. You identified it in an earlier post. I was wondering, is there anywhere I can buy a box of factory ammo for it? I seem to only find blanks in black powder loads.
    Thanks;
    Mike
  6. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Jim has not been posting lately; he has been ill. You might try looking for Black Hills ammunition online. They make low pressure loads for antique guns used in cowboy-action shooting.
  7. mjanoplis

mjanoplis New Member

Thank you; I hope he feels better soon..
    Mike
  8. birddogo1e

birddogo1e Member

Sorry to hear Jim is ill. Hope he gets well soon, miss his expertise.
    For those who have interest or may be able to contribute; picked up what I'm pretty sure is a 1st Model, 1st Variation H&R 32 cal hammerless revolver. It is blued with a some blueing wear at the muzzle, on the frame sides behind the cylinder, and between two cylinder flutes (Pic #1). Overall blueing about 85+%. It has a 3" barrel marked on top as described elsewhere for a 1st Mod 1st Var with appropriate Pat dates. No cal markings on left rear of barrel. Barrel bore lands and grooves are bright and sharp and chambers are smooth and shiny (Pic #3). Cylinder locks up tight. It has the double top post barrel latch (Pic #2), hard black rubber grips with tgt logo in VG condition, stud in extractor star, and 2 "spanner" holes in firing pin shield. Serial numbers are 140XX on underside of backstrap, 40XX under left grip behind lower grip pin and scratched inside both grips, and matching XX on rear of cylinder and extractor star (Pic #3). There is no "H" stamped anywhere. Am I accurate on ID? When made? Can but shouldn't shoot smokeless rounds? I'm kinda sorta figuring that with approx 80,000 made in 4 years, SN 140XX should easilly put this one as made in 1899. This is my 3rd 32 hammerless, the others are IJs, and it is by far in the best shape of the 3, especially considering its age and that it was probably fired with BP rounds. There is a complete absence of any BP corrosion in cylinder/barrel area. Is there any significance to lack of "H" stamp on the underside of the back strap?

Geezer in Dayton

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  9. Vincent55

Vincent55 New Member

I'd like to buy his book when it comes out, as I have a couple other top breaks I'd like to identify, one of which needs repair as it doesn't fire every bullet.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Welcome Vincent , yeah i'll be getting a copy myself

Hey Vincent , you aint a "Curmudgeon" are you ?
  11. BrianF

BrianF New Member

First I hope that Jim gets better. Second he posted this picture and stated that if it has this stamp on top it's a 3rd model 1st variation and if it does not indicate a cartrige designation stamped on the side it's a second model.

My question is the revolver I got from my grandfathers passing has the stamp on the barrel just like in the picture but doesn't have a designation on the side. Also I took off the cylinder and it says under the barrel G3074. I am unsure which model I actually have. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
  12. Buzzless47

Buzzless47 New Member

13. j8064

j8064 New Member

Hi folks. I'm new here and new to H&R top break revolvers, but not new to firearms or reloading. This thread has been very informative as I've tried to identify and research the revlover in the pics below. I'm really sorry I missed some of the expertise others contributed who are now gone.

The revolver is a .32 S&W with nickel finish, blued hammer and no cartridge designation on the barrel. Based on Jim Hauff's post (#8), I think what I have here is a 2nd model and maybe 3rd variation? The barrel rib markings match Jim's post. The S/N prefix appears to me to be a "C", but it also looks like an inverted "G".

If I'm incorrect on my first pass at trying to identify what model the gun is, please chime in. Am I also correct in believing this particular gun was originally built for BP rounds? Any idea of an approx. mfg. year? Anything else you can add would be appreciated!

I have no doubt parts are scarce. The only issue this one has is excessive wear on the extractor gear teeth. The wear causes it to miss advancing the cylinder on one chamber. If there's a fix for that or a source for parts, I'd love to know.

Thanks. Here's the old revolver:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  14. CavBirdie

CavBirdie New Member

My father recently passed and one of his guns im trying to identify is a H&R Top break 6 shot with ejector. it has no cal markings on the barrel.
    the top reads
    "HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS COMPANY
    WARCHESTER, MASS. U.S.A. PATD OCT.4 87 DEC.25.88"
    the only serial number i can find is 2259 on the edge of the opening lever and butt under the pistol grips (also has 259 on the barrel and ejector)

Any help would be apreciated
  15. voshuta

voshuta New Member

hello all,
    I recently bought a H&R .32 top break hammerless revolver at auction and have been reading up on their history. I believe mine is a first model, first variation (going from other forum posts.) On the top barrel rib is printed:

"Harrington and Richardson Arms company
    Worcester Mass. U.S.A. Pat. OCT 4'87. APR 2.'95. APR 7.'96"

Nothing is printed on the left, (or right); side of the barrel
    it is a 5 round cylinder with 3" barrel, nickel plated with blued trigger and trigger guard. SN# S4464

Also just for safety sake I'd like confirmation that this pistol fires the .32 black powder charge?

Thanks for all the forum help, Keep posting so we can keep learnin
  16. brewman01

brewman01 New Member

Another noob here. Looking for some confirmation on this pistol that I just acquired.

Details:

"Harrington & Richardson Arms Co." on barrel, also has "S&W CTGE"
    "Worcester, Mass USA"
    5 shot - .32 cal
    s/n 136xxx
    Unfortunatly the right side grip is missing :mad: (see pics)

I believe it is a Vest Pocket Self-Cocker. Don't know what year or any other details. As above, the s/n is 136xxx.

Any information and/or approx. value would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

17. Longbar

Longbar New Member

H&R Top Break and on top of the barrel it has Oct. 4,1887 can anyone tell me what year this gun was made and Serial # 83299 everything works good and wanted to know if i can shoot modern ammo through it.

Attached Files:

18. w3nrl

w3nrl New Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  19. ldsgeek

ldsgeek New Member

I'm trying to identify this revolver which belongs to a friend. Other than the markings shown in the pictures I know nothing about the gun. The bore is in excellent condition and it does have a fitted carry pouch/purse (although it needs repair). Any information would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

20. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Your friend has an H&R Premier .32 five shot. They marketed the snub barrel as their "Bicycle" model.