H&R .32 top break revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by thomashp, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianF

BrianF New Member

First I hope that Jim gets better. Second he posted this picture and stated that if it has this stamp on top it's a 3rd model 1st variation and if it does not indicate a cartrige designation stamped on the side it's a second model.

My question is the revolver I got from my grandfathers passing has the stamp on the barrel just like in the picture but doesn't have a designation on the side. Also I took off the cylinder and it says under the barrel G3074. I am unsure which model I actually have. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
  2. Buzzless47

Buzzless47 New Member

3. j8064

j8064 New Member

Hi folks. I'm new here and new to H&R top break revolvers, but not new to firearms or reloading. This thread has been very informative as I've tried to identify and research the revlover in the pics below. I'm really sorry I missed some of the expertise others contributed who are now gone.

The revolver is a .32 S&W with nickel finish, blued hammer and no cartridge designation on the barrel. Based on Jim Hauff's post (#8), I think what I have here is a 2nd model and maybe 3rd variation? The barrel rib markings match Jim's post. The S/N prefix appears to me to be a "C", but it also looks like an inverted "G".

If I'm incorrect on my first pass at trying to identify what model the gun is, please chime in. Am I also correct in believing this particular gun was originally built for BP rounds? Any idea of an approx. mfg. year? Anything else you can add would be appreciated!

I have no doubt parts are scarce. The only issue this one has is excessive wear on the extractor gear teeth. The wear causes it to miss advancing the cylinder on one chamber. If there's a fix for that or a source for parts, I'd love to know.

Thanks. Here's the old revolver:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  4. CavBirdie

CavBirdie New Member

My father recently passed and one of his guns im trying to identify is a H&R Top break 6 shot with ejector. it has no cal markings on the barrel.
    the top reads
    "HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS COMPANY
    WARCHESTER, MASS. U.S.A. PATD OCT.4 87 DEC.25.88"
    the only serial number i can find is 2259 on the edge of the opening lever and butt under the pistol grips (also has 259 on the barrel and ejector)

Any help would be apreciated
  5. voshuta

voshuta New Member

hello all,
    I recently bought a H&R .32 top break hammerless revolver at auction and have been reading up on their history. I believe mine is a first model, first variation (going from other forum posts.) On the top barrel rib is printed:

"Harrington and Richardson Arms company
    Worcester Mass. U.S.A. Pat. OCT 4'87. APR 2.'95. APR 7.'96"

Nothing is printed on the left, (or right); side of the barrel
    it is a 5 round cylinder with 3" barrel, nickel plated with blued trigger and trigger guard. SN# S4464

Also just for safety sake I'd like confirmation that this pistol fires the .32 black powder charge?

Thanks for all the forum help, Keep posting so we can keep learnin
  6. brewman01

brewman01 New Member

Another noob here. Looking for some confirmation on this pistol that I just acquired.

Details:

"Harrington & Richardson Arms Co." on barrel, also has "S&W CTGE"
    "Worcester, Mass USA"
    5 shot - .32 cal
    s/n 136xxx
    Unfortunatly the right side grip is missing :mad: (see pics)

I believe it is a Vest Pocket Self-Cocker. Don't know what year or any other details. As above, the s/n is 136xxx.

Any information and/or approx. value would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

7. Longbar

Longbar New Member

H&R Top Break and on top of the barrel it has Oct. 4,1887 can anyone tell me what year this gun was made and Serial # 83299 everything works good and wanted to know if i can shoot modern ammo through it.

Attached Files:

8. w3nrl

w3nrl New Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  9. ldsgeek

ldsgeek New Member

I'm trying to identify this revolver which belongs to a friend. Other than the markings shown in the pictures I know nothing about the gun. The bore is in excellent condition and it does have a fitted carry pouch/purse (although it needs repair). Any information would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

10. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Your friend has an H&R Premier .32 five shot. They marketed the snub barrel as their "Bicycle" model.
  11. ldsgeek

ldsgeek New Member

Any idea of the age of this particular revolver? Just curious. Here is a picture of the pouch/purse which came with it.

Attached Files:

12. dave shady

dave shady New Member

Hello there I am helping a customer of mine from work. He has an OLD H&R
    Revolver 32 S&W nickle plated Factory bobed hammer. I got all of that from
    this thread. He has had it for 20+ years never fired it, kept it in a box with
    the one box of MODERN 32 S&W ammo. I am trying to help him sell it so he
    can buy a small CCW pistol.

I have a bunch of photos I will post. All SER# match. Finish is good but you
    can see some pitting in the nickle finish and I did my best to get photos
    of that.

just trying to help the old guy out. No one in his family wants it so its
    going to be sold once I figure out AGE, Type, ammo its capeable of shooting
    ect and Value to ask. he was offered 100$ by a couple of guys but I told
    him to let me investigate it a little more.

H&R .32 Premier CTGE last date on top rib is 4/7/96 (that is last pat date)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help you can offer me.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  13. Jim73

Jim73 New Member

I walked into my local Gun/Pawn shop and found this>

Harrington & Richardson Arms Company Worcester MASS US PAT May 14 89 Apr 2 95 Apr 7 96 Premier 32 S & W CTGE

On barrel Premiere 32 S & W CTGE
    6 3273 under grip
    AF3273 F might be a P

Cylinder has 273 on ejector and Cylinder

Could anyone tell me the year this gun was made? and can i shoot smokeless ammo?. The gun seems tight and lines up well there is some pitting on the outside and a few little spots inside of barrel not bad though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to anyone that can help!:)
  14. zendiecut

zendiecut New Member

Good Morning all. Not really a reply, but another question.

I just got a H&R 32 Break Top from my 81 y.o. dad. S/N 37260. It is nickel finished and has pearl grips. Patents are Oct 4, '81, Apr 2, '95 and Apr 7, '96. Any idea when it was made? No other marking on the gun except what is on the top of barrel and under top strap.

Thanks,

Jack
  15. krek

krek New Member

Add me to the list of curious H&R owners. My mom found this in her safety deposit box a few years ago after my dad passed... my grandfather was convinced it was something special. :rolleyes:

The patent date reads "Oct 4,'87" which if I've read correctly dates it to 1890-1892?

The serial number is O96495.

3.25" barrel, five shot, cylinder measures 1.25".

[​IMG]