H&R .32 top break

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jnc6, Feb 25, 2012.

1. jnc6

jnc6 New Member

I've recently been given my father in law's H&R .32 top break revolver and would very much like to shoot the gun. I have read the many posts from other members and have not found one that applies to my gun. There are no patent dates anywhere on the gun. The top of the barrel only has H&R and their address. The serial number is listed on the under side of the frame above the cylinder and on the left side of the frame under the grip. The serial number is 306626. The caliber is marked on the left side of the barrel (32 S&W CTGE). My question is can I use smokeless powder cartriges in this gun. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

My condolences to Bill G.'s family, I am very sorry for your loss.
    Respectfully,
    jnc6
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

jnc6,
    Assuming your gun is safe to fire (barrel isn't blocked or dented, no cracks in cylinder walls, etc.) it should be able to handle modern low pressure .32 S&W shorts and depending upon the model (which I can't tell from the serial number) probably .32 S&W Longs also. It was made close to the 1930's - 1935 time period if it is what I think it is. If not, then it was made a little earlier.
  3. jnc6

jnc6 New Member

Jim,
    Thanks so much for the info! Yes, the gun is in good working condition. The finish is a little worn but that's about it. I know it is not worth a lot of money but it will be worth something to me to get it working again. I just purchased a trigger return spring and a parts break down. Once it is repaired I'll be heading to the range. Thanks again for the quick response.
    jnc6 (Jeff)