H&R 38 Automatic

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dangt, Dec 30, 2010.

1. dangt

dangt New Member

I tried posting this on another forum............hoping for comment from Bill Goforth and Jim Hauff.

My most recently acquired H&R is a 38 Auto Ejecting 4 inch barrel with extension or target type grips. I question the originality of the grips and ask for comment.

The gun's serial number is 495653 stamped on the bottom or the butt, the front of the grip strap ( shows with the extension grips installed), left side of the grip frame, and beneath the top strap of the barrel. Caliber marking "38 S.&W. CTGE." is on barrels right side and "H.&R. "AUTOMATIC" " is on barrel's left side. Marking on barrel top in two lines is:

Harringtion & Richardson Arms Co.
    Worchester, Massachusetts, U.S.A.

The target grips are not the hard rubber type I am familiar with on Auto Ejecting models but are wood, checkered with a pronounced saw handle like hump at the top. I've seen pictures of this type grip on 22 Specials and Trapper models. These are only similar; they have the circular shaped top fitting into the circular recess of the frame at the top of teh grip.The grips are both stamped with three digits that do not match the gun's serial number. Sorry that I dont have photo capability yet on my newest computer.Can they be original ? Were Auto Ejecting models ever made with wood grips?

Thanks,
    Dan Taylor
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Dan,
    Yes, the later variations often were equipped with extended wrap-around grips - both black hard rubber and walnut. As to the ones on your - it's a tough call without seeing them. Your "AUTOMATIC" is a 3rd Model probably 4th Variation.
    IMG_1892_2.jpg
    IMG_1885_2.jpg
  3. dangt

dangt New Member

Thanks Jim,

My wooden grips differ from the gun in the top of your photo in that they have the saw-handle like hump and are shaped more like the hard rubber grips where they fit into the recessed milled area at the grip frame top.

Thanks again for your photo examples. Looking forward to the upcoming H&R book.

Dan Taylor
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Dan,
    You're welcome - the wooden grips are simply variations on a theme. Here's a pic of grips on an early 22 SPECIAL, which will fit on the later AUTOMATICS also.
    Thanks for thanking.
    IMG_0326_2.jpg
  5. dangt

dangt New Member

Yes, Jim, your last pic of the 22 Special grips are like mine on my 38 "AUTOMATIC". THe shape at the top is exactly as I was attempting to describe.

If I failed to mention earlier, I'm very eager for the upcoming H&R book.

Regards,

Dan Taylor
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Dan,
    You and me both!!!
    Jim

HAPPY NEW YEAR, ALL!