h&r 38 revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by girlwithagun, Jan 4, 2011.

1. girlwithagun

girlwithagun New Member

i have a h&r break over revolver 38 with the "Harrington and Richardson Arms company Worchester Mass USA Pat oct 4 1887", 5-shot. looks like an "a" then 30381 serial #. any information would be appreciated......
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Girl...,
    Take a look at the attached picture. Do the grip/handle panels look like the one on that gun? Does the rest of your gun look like the one pictured? Nickel trigger guard? This will help pin it down...it is a 1st Model Auto Ejecting ...just trying to figure out the variation to determine year(s).

IMG_1751_2.jpg
  3. girlwithagun

girlwithagun New Member

my gun is not nickle plated, it does look like the one pictured except the grip is different...
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Girl,
    OKAY your gun is "blued" - the grip probably has a square target logo at the top????
    If you post exactly what is stamped into the rib on top of the barrel, we can narrow it down a bit more.
  5. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Girl,
    Jim could help you identify your H&R much easier if you could post a picture!
  6. girlwithagun

girlwithagun New Member

the grip does have a square target logo. stamped into the rib on top of the barrel is: "Harrington and Richardson Arms company Worcester Mass USA Pat'd Oct. 4th 1887", and the serial number is A30381.......
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a second model 2nd variation auto-eject the A letter code was used on this model in 1891

AUTOMATIC EJECTING SECOND MODEL (NEW FRAME TARGET LOGO GRIPS)
    (BLACK POWDER) ---------------------------------1890-1904
    New frame shape and new hard rubber grip panels with Target Logo, Auto-ejecting mechanism, Calibers 32 S&W, 6 shot cylinder capacity, 38 S&W caliber 5 shot cylinder capacity, nickel finish (blue optional), barrel lengths of 2½ (rare), 3¼ (standard), 4, 5 & 6 inches available. “IF THERE IS NO CALIBER MARKING ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BARREL THEN IT WAS MANUFACTURED FOR BLACK POWDER”
    Top of barrel markings include company name and address and patent dates.
    First Variation; one patent date OCT-4-87 only ------------1890-1892
    Second Variation one patent date marked OCT-4-1887 (year marked in full) ------1890-1892*
    Third Variation three patent dates, Oct-4-1887, May 14 & Aug-6-89 --1893-Only*
    Fourth Variation three patent dates Oct-4-87, May-14 & Aug-6-89 (note 87 date des not have full year markings)--------1894-1896*
    Fifth Variation five patent dates Oct-4-87, May 14 & Aug-6-89, April-2-95, April-7-96-----1897-1904*
    *Serial numbers found on the bottom side of the top strap will have letter codes with them.
    VALUE 100%=$225 60%=$85 For all Auto-Ejecting 2nd Models; add 75% premium for 2½” barrel; add 25% for 4”, 5” & 6” barrels; add 15% for blue finish; add 10% for 1st , 2nd, 3rd & 4th variations with nickel trigger guard on nickel finish pieces
    bill
  8. henleyp

henleyp New Member

I too bought one of these and am curious of what I have. I can send pics upon request. Mine does not have a PAT. date. Has a 3.25 barrel with black pearled grips and was blued. Looks like it would be older than the one pictured. Does not exactly match it. Does not have the latch open button or sear release?. Any info. would be appreciated.
    Thanks...Paul
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012