H&R 410 shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by zackd24, Jan 16, 2009.

1. zackd24

zackd24 New Member

I have a H&R 410 shotgun that was my great grandmothers and I am trying to find infomation about it.

Bay State worchester, mass u.s.a. is on the side
    A165346 in on the bottom behind the trigger and on the barrel when you open it up
    410-12m/mCHOKE is on top of barrel.

Any information on it would be great.

Thanks
  2. PetahW

PetahW New Member

I also have a H&R Bay State Arms .410 - but with a 4-digit serial number & a nickled frame.

I know the .410's weren't in production before 1914-1917 - and with no factory records available I know of, I WAG my gun's DOM as ca.1917 - which should put yours many years later, possibly into the late 1920's or early 1930's.

[​IMG]

3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the H&R bay state name was used by H&R from about 1918 until 1942. this was their economy brand for these years. there were a standard frame and a light weight frame (small) models. the time line for H&R 410 marked guns is as follows;
    1916-1921 410-44 2 inch chamber
    1922-1936 410-12mm 2 1/2 inch chamber
    1937-1942 410 3 inch chamber

BAY STATE & COLUMBIA BRAND NAME-------------------------1916-1942
    Single Barrel, Standard Size Frame, Top Lever Break Action, Barrel Lock is Non-Self Adjustable, Three Piece Take Down (Non-Removable Hinge Pin), 12, 16, Gauges & 410 Bore, Barrel Length of 26, 28, 30 & 32 inches, Walnut Pistol Griped Butt-Stock and Fore-Arm, Hard Rubber Butt Plate, Blue Finish, Available as Ejector Model Only, Weight 5¾ to 6 3/8 Pounds, Advertised as having Steel Barrel. This Model is a Brand Name Shotgun and also known under the following: NO.7 BAY STATE, NO.7 BAY STATE LIGHTWEIGHT GUN, NO. 9 COLUMBIA, NO. 9 BAY STATE and NO. 9 BAY STATE LIGHTWEIGHT
    VALUE: 100%=$205 60%=$55

the small frame model generally will bring about 10 to 15% more that a standard size frame model

petahw,
    your gun marked only 410 was manufactured between 1937 and 1942.

zackd24,
    your 410-12mm marked gun was manufactured between 1922 and 1936

bill
  4. PetahW

PetahW New Member

With the 4-digit SN, I make it to be ca. 1922, ILO 37-42 - Thanks.

(I didn't post all my markings above, but it's barrel top is marked thusly: "410-12mm" )

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  5. zackd24

zackd24 New Member

Thanks for everyones information, I really appreciate it!
  6. cait

cait New Member

I recently found my grandfather's old bay state shotgun. All it has on it is "Harrington & Richardson" , "Bay State" , "Worcester, Mass" on the side and the A 842868 on the bottom

On the barrel it has the same 6 digit number on one side and the other side it says "R"

I'm trying to find out as much as I can about this thing. Any idea on a date? What is the "R" for? Does anyone know it it was used as a military weapon? My grandfather used to say the Marine Corps gave it to him for WWII. True or false?

Its also very rusted and the metal seems kinda tarnished under the rust. It hasn't been touched in almost 40 years. Any ideas on how to clean thing? Will I be able to make it shoot?
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Cait, if you read the posting above by Mr. Bill Goforth ( now deceased ), he gives a very good over view on the Bay State shotguns. Cleaning your shotgun, I would use some 0000 grade steel wool and fine oil to clean off the rust and crud. Cleaning inside the barrel would require a cleaning rod, available at most sporting good stores. Spray the internals with a good dry cleaning fluid such as Gun Blaster or Gun Scrubber and using a Q tip ( don't lose the cotton tip inside the shotgun ) oil as many moving parts as you can see. Is it safe to shoot. Don't know. unless it was in my hot little hands, I won't say yea or nay. These old shot guns are hard to kill but I don't think anyone on this board will say it is safe with out looking at it. Take it to a knowledgeable individual or a local gun shop and have them examine it. Well, about the military part, it was never military issue of any type, but if your grand father said that, it must be true:)
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  8. cait

cait New Member

Yea I saw the older post but I don't know if it is a 2,2 1/2, or 3in chamber (not sure what that means) and was hoping to get a closer date. I already got the steel wool and gun oil but a friend said it might damage it so I wanted more opinions. Yea he claimed it was military issue... but honestly he was a hateful drunk and liked to get drink and clean it and brag about the men he killed but the gun doesn't even look like it was used much. Thanks for the info!
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

cait,
    The H&R "BAYSTATE" series was a catalogue or hardware store version of the H&R STANDARD Model 08. It has very little collector value, today; probably between $50 and $75 in the condition described. Don't worry about degrading it's value - clean it up as RJay suggested - it will last a bit longer if you stop the active rust.
    As to military use, I highly doubt that the military (USMC) would issue a single shot, inexpensive, utility grade shotgun to ANY of their personnel for combat usage, especially since there were any number of military rifles and shotguns available during WW2.
    Your gun, unless altered, should chamber 2 3/4" standard velocity (1250 fps and down) target or light field loadings. As to safety of shooting it - if you don't know what to look for, have it checked by an expert (as RJay suggested) or simply retire it.
  10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

cait, one word of caution, the chamber on a shotgun is always about 1/4 inch longer than the shell it is chambered for. This gives the rolled rim on the shell space to unfurl. A three inch .410 shell will fit very handily in a 2 and 3/4 chamber, but the rolled unfurled rim will create higher pressure ( acts as a obstruction ) than is good for man , gun or beast. Shoot safe and good luck.
  11. Lorraine Keatinglak

Lorraine Keatinglak New Member

I have a Bay State 410 that needs a new stock,the one on it is all cracked. Any one know where I can find one? Thanks Lorraine
  12. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Lorraine -
    Try Numrich/GPC (www.e-gunparts.com). It's going to be a "hard find", unless you can find a badly abused parts gun from which you can scavange the wood. Good luck!
  13. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

And, Vorisek's list of shotgun brand names shows Bay State was also used by Bay State Arms Co and successor Hopkins & Allen, and by Stevens.