The Firearms Forum banner

H&R 5 shot automatic revolver

3K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  jules51 
#1 ·
greetings,
I was hoping someone might help me identify this gun. It belonged to my grandfather (who allegedly took it with him late one night after the Sacco & Vanzetti executions!) I include images. Company name and address only on top of barrel. serial number 491030 on bottom of grip. H&R "Automatic" on left side of barrel. 38 S&W ctge on right side of barrel. Any thoughts on value?
thanks
jules Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel
Gun Revolver Shotgun Trigger Gun barrel
Material property

See less See more
#2 ·
What about the top of the barrel? ...address - is the state stamped as "Mass" or "Massachusetts"? Either way it is a Large Frame Automatic Ejecting 3rd Model. But it could be a 3rd or 4th Variation depending on the state spelling, made 1913-1915 or 1916-1924, respectively. It is a smokeless gun.

The grips aren't original, but it is in beautiful shape. If the bore and chambers are in similar shape, and same with the other side, and it functions properly(action and lockup) - I'd put it around $170-$190. If you had the original grips - add another $20. The fact that it is blued adds another $20-$30. ...so, we're talking $190-$220 as is. Then add $20 if you get a set of original grips. Although, those pearl grips may offset the original grip value to the right buyer.

#3 ·
Thanks so much for the prompt response! The address reads Massachusetts. The dates makes sense as Sacco and Vanzetti were executed in 1927. I’m new to this game, I guess guns are not sold on Ebay; besides gun shows, is there an online clearing house for used guns?

Thanks again.

jules

#4 ·
It is a 4th Variation made between 1916 and 1924.

For buying and selling - there are a number of online auction sites. I'll PM them to you. ...not sure if this site allows providing such links(some websites are like that).

#5 ·
If you put that on ********* with really good pictures and start the auction at .01 no reserve and list it on a sunday night at 9:30 for 14 days, I think it will sell for $300 or more. I sell a lot of these. Condition is everything when it comes to top breaks. Yours looks like new and I don't believe its been refinished.
The real mother of pearl grips enhance the value on an H&R whether they are original to the gun or not (at least in my experience). I think those may have come on it originally in my opinion. They look like the fit really well.

#10 ·
Some people wont even look at auctions with reserves on them. If you list it right with good pics and good description it will sell at the highest price the market will bring. And list it for two weeks. I usually sell one or two guns a week on ********* and I sell them all this way. The only way I would possibly use a reserve is if it were a really high dollar expensive gun that I had a lot invested in that I needed to get back. Otherwise penny no reserve is the way to go.

H&R offered mother of pearl grips as an option as did everyone else back in those days. I would bet yours are original to the gun. That gun is beautiful.

#12 ·
Oh an always pick the option to add more text to the listing. I think its a $3.50 charge. The more you put in the more hits it will get. I also use the "featured auction" setting too to make the auction more visable. I would title yours like this:

"Harrington & Richardson .38 Top Break Blue/Pearl 98%"
Then in the added text something like this:

"38 H&R almost perfect .01 No Reserve"

Whatever you have room for text. The more you can get in that will generate hits when people are searching the better. You might want to put "Smokeless" in there somewhere too.
When I have my H&R book in front of me I can probably get a close manufacture date for you. Its sometimes good to have that in the title somewhere too.

#13 ·
earlier in the thread another member sent this on identification:

"... it is a Large Frame Automatic Ejecting 3rd Model. But it could be a 3rd or 4th Variation depending on the state spelling, made 1913-1915 or 1916-1924, respectively. It is a smokeless gun.
... 4th Variation made between 1916 and 1924. "

i notice in the listings it will say .o1 , no reserve, "started at $275.00" (for ex) . Not sure I understand what is meant. Shall I use the "buy it now" option like Ebay allows?

#14 ·
I just realized I may be breaking the rules here by coaching you to sell this on GB. I forget that GB is not real popular here. I probably should have been doing this privately.
They have a section here for buying and selling and I was just notified about that by a moderator on another post where I mentioned one of my auctions.
To the moderators once again I apologize if I've been breaking the rules. I don't want to ruffle any feathers here as this is such an excellent forum.

Thanks

#17 ·
No rules broken on the advice given. It is just that we don't allow spam and "pushing" your own auction is a form of spam.

As far as having a reserve on an auction, I personally won't do that. I have also never started an auction at .01, I usually set the auction at the absolute lowest amount I would sell it for. If it goes higher, good, if not then I got what I wanted to start with!

And I would never use a "buy it now" price.

#18 ·
Thanks gdmoody.
Everyone has their own auction methods. The .01 no reserve has been working really well for me. I find that if listed right the guns will always bring in a price that is more than what I paid for the gun. On the past 12 auctions I've run over the past 90 days I have made money on every one and usually doubled what I paid for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.