H&R, 5 shot

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Mapledale, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Mapledale

Mapledale New Member

Not sure if this is the correct place but, here goes.

Rediscovered Grandfather's pistol. It has been around the family for many years. Similar to many I have seen discribed on this site. Nickel plated, five shot, hammerless, black pistol grips with serial number scratched inside on both grips, full SN 56312 on underside of barrel latch, partial SN 312 on cylinder.

US Patent dates in Oct '87, April '95 & '96

Exterior seems pristene, Rust on cylinder and in barrel.

Trigger pull seems excessive.

I fired several rounds of old ammo 20 years ago. Any possibility of rehabing a handgun such as mine?
  2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Yes, it can be done, but it depends what you want it for. If you want it as a keepsake or heirloom, a good cleaning with something like RemOil, using a bronze brush in the barrel and chambers, would be enough. Rehabbing it as a shooter might well cost more than the gun is worth, and such a gun is very outdated for just about any kind of shooting purpose, especially if it is a 32.

The above is my opinion, and I hope others who have different or better advice will chime in.
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Mapledale,
    Welcome to the forum.
    From your description sounds like you have a 1st Model SMALL FRAME HAMMERLESS 1st Variation, made between 1899 and 1904. It was made to handle BLACK POWDER .32 S&W cartridges. Not sure what you mean by "rehab" - but you need to be careful shooting smokeless powder cartridges in it - it was not made to handle modern pressure cartridges. Give it a good cleaning, a light polishing of the exterior and hang it on the wall as an heirloom - merely my humble opinion.
  4. Ken W

Ken W Member

By all means clean it but doing any heavy polishing and/or refinishing is not only uneconomical but ruins any originality it currently possesses.