H & R 633

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by zakar4evr, Mar 9, 2012.

1. zakar4evr

zakar4evr New Member

I have seen a lot of posts on revolvers being sa(single action) or da(double action),was curious to know if most of the older h&R revolvers like my 633 is both sa and da,because it seems that there all referred to as double actions.Dont know much about the revolvers,thats the reason for the question.Like my little 633...

Thanks

Zakar
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Only a very few "specialized" TARGET pistols and revolvers made by H&R were intentionally made SINGLE ACTION ONLY. The vast majority of production revolvers were made with actions that would work in SA and DA. Today we have a tendency to lump this type of revolver into a category called DOUBLE ACTION. Nomenclature. Glad you like your 633 - give me the serial and I'll give you some into on it, if you'd like.
  3. zakar4evr

zakar4evr New Member

Thanks for the info Jim,the serial# is N68483 gonna download a couple of pictures of it here in a little while....
  4. zakar4evr

zakar4evr New Member

Here are some pictures of the pistol,was given to me by my mother.Very good condition...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

zakar -
    'N' = 1951 - 1st year of production for that "BANTAM" frame piece is usually stated as 1952 in the catalogues - but yours, if clearly marked as 'N' would make it VERY early in production, late in 1951 or very early 1952 fiscal year - that would also fit with the 5 digit sequencial production number after the prefix - about the number of handguns that would have been made in that catagory in 1951. This is the first and only example that I've seen (of that model) with an 'N' prefix. Very nice find.
    I just checked my inventory and I do NOT have a M633 example at this time - but I do have a couple early 632s (the blued variant).
    Check yours for the "All-in-One" ejection system - it should have it.

IMG_1365.jpg
  6. zakar4evr

zakar4evr New Member

Yes Jim it does have the all in one ejection and thank you.What would this piece be worth,I've checked all the books I could find and everything tells me its worth around $50.00 to $75.00,but my gut is telling me its worth more....
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

As a collector - (not making an offer here) - I would be willing to spend close to $200 for that one - because of condition, scarcity of model /finish and the unusual 'N' prefix. As a shooter gun to a casual user - maybe worth at RETAIL in the $130 - 150 range. Most "guides" today are woefully out of date on actual selling prices for H&R and other manufacturer's pieces of these grades. There are a surprising number of people who still carry/use/have stashed these guns and use them for a variety of purposes.
  8. zakar4evr

zakar4evr New Member

Wow,that is a real big surprise.Thank you for the information....
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

zakar,
    Glad to help out! Enjoy the heritage and the "scare" feature.
  10. treidm

treidm New Member

So glad I ran across this thread.
    I have a 633 also with Serial # P57798
    In Jim's Photo, mine has the frame and hammer of 2nd variation except with a round butt and mottled brown side plates on handle and a 2-1/2" barrel
    I know my father had bought it after he was married and the Korean war started in 1950, pretty sure he would have not got it until after the war, so after 1953
    I'm guessing it's a 1954 or 1955? Anyone know the date?
    Is my configuration normal?
    Am I correct that it will use both 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, but not the Magnum rounds?
    Oh yes and any guess on a collector value?

Can a good trigger/action job be done on them?
    Thanks, Reid

Can post pics if needed...
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  11. knight0334

knight0334 Active Member

"P" is 1954.

I'd need to see pictures to tell if it is normal and to appraise its value.

If yours is .32 caliber - it would be .32S&W Long. ...which can handle .32S&W(the short one) as well - just like shooting .38Spl in a .357Mag. It is definitely NOT able to handle the .32H&R Magnum.
  12. treidm

treidm New Member

Thanks! ....Reid
  13. knight0334

knight0334 Active Member

That is in rather decent shape.. ..yeah, a few scratches here and there, but overall it isn't bad.

I'd put that around $120-$140. In some areas it might be worth slightly more, or less.