H&R 732 Won't Fire

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by BobG, Oct 20, 2010.

1. BobG

BobG New Member

I have a H&R Model 732 that was in great condition but now won't shoot. When attempting to shoot single or double the hammer goes back but stops just prior to firing. It appears I may(?) be able to fire after pulling the hammer back, letting it go forward and pulling the safty(?) behind the trigger?

Any ideas? Is it worth trying to repair? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2", SN AF 7235

Bob
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The device behind the trigger is the sear which is used in firing single action.

When an H&R acts that way, I think right away of the mainspring (hammer spring) guide, probably one of the ones with a plastic tip which has the plastic broken.

Remove the grips and see what is going on with the hammer and the hammer spring guide. You should be able to see if something is wrong.

Jim
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

AF= 1969

if it is just the hammer spring and guide the answer is yes it is worth fixing.

bill
  4. BobG

BobG New Member

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Bob
  5. BobG

BobG New Member

Thanks. It is exactly as you described. The plastic tip is broken. I also found a small "U" shaped bracket with a small hole on each side loose in the hand grip when I took them off.

So I have two questions.
    1. Can I swap to a steel head instead of the plastic? I found a guide rod and spring at http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search.aspx?filter=H&R model 732&catid=7911

2. How does the little bracket fit back in? Is it easy or should I just get the 732 schematic and parts lists?

Thanks for your assistance.

Bob
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

The U-shaped bracket is what holds to the two grip panels together in the frame. To re-install: screw fasten one grip panel to the bracket; install that grip panel with bracket on the grip frame; line up hole in other grip panel with empty hole in bracket and insert grip screw and tighter. There are indexing tabs on the frame and grip panels that keep the assembled panels from skewing around on the frame. This bracket was only used on the short barrel, round butt revolvers.

IMG_1414_2.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Jim is correct. When I responded to your other posting, I was thinking of a different arrangement on other H&R guns.

Jim
  8. BobG

BobG New Member

Thanks. That works.

Anyone know if I can go to the steel tip mainspring guide rod? Or do I have to go with the plastic tip? I would prefer steel for the obvious reason.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.

Bob
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

You can try the steel tip and it may work...according to Numrich, they recommend replacing like for like (i.e. nylon with nylon; steel w/ steel.) From my experience - the assemblies they offer will in about half the cases I've tried - including one 732 - require removing the head/tip from the new piece and insalling it on the old rod/spring assembly. In those cases the new guide rod was too long for my piece.
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Once, in a slack period, I made a guide rod head out of a block of steel just for the heckuvit. Obviously, I charged the customer only what a factory replacement would cost, but the boss thought it was funny, saying that if I charged by the hour (I was on a job basis) he could have bought a dozen of those guns for what that guide rod would have cost.

Jim
  11. software-person

software-person New Member

I just received a 1972 H&R Model 732. Fired 20 rounds and the same thing happened. Found this forum and verified the plastic part in my gun was broken. My question is if I replace the part how likely will it break again?
  12. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

New heads can be obtained from Jack First. They are alum and seem to work well in several I have replced.
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Those plastic parts were not one of H&R's better ideas, which is why I recommend they be replaced with the metal ones if they are the same. Thanks, gunplumber, for the info on another source.

Jim