H&R 922 cylinder does not lock

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by old hillbilly, Oct 26, 2012.

1. old hillbilly

old hillbilly New Member

I was looking at this gun this week, didn't get the SN, but it is 9 shot, 6 inch barrel, and the cylinder has to be removed to reload. Looking at it the gun appears to have maybe had some fiddling, but the gun cannot be fired single action, the hammer will not lock back. Also when the hammer is back the cylinder does not lock, it can be spun forward. Firing it double action takes so much force it takes both hands on the trigger. any ideas, other than to run from it?
    Thanks
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Run from it. Those guns (and all H&R's and IJ's) are OK as long as they work, but they tend to have problems, and as soon as trouble crops up, someone decides that the gun is not worth taking to a gunsmith and decides to do a bit of amateur "surgery" that almost always makes things worse. If you decide to collect those guns, fine, there are still lots of near new ones around for a collection. But as using guns, I advise avoiding them. And definitely avoid the ones that show signs of trouble or of having been worked on.

(OK, I know you have one that your seven times great grandfather bought from George Washington, and it has always worked perfectly, but it is the exception.)

Jim
  3. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Amen to Jim K's. Most H&Rs seem to have been made with the light bulb in mind, when it fails you throw it away and get another one. Too often the throw-aways get picked up and Jim's scenario starts.

OTOH, I like H&Rs & have a dozen or more H&Rs, mostly the expendable types and a couple of H&R's beautifully made pieces such as the Sportsman Single Action.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't think H&R set out to make expendable revolvers. In the late 19th century, their quality was almost on a par with S&W and Colt. But they never were able to do a really decent upgrade of that 19th century design. They kept trying to correct problems with the hand, the cylinder stop, the hammer lifter system and so on, but they were between the proverbial rock and hard place. They needed to overhaul their whole design, which would have meant changing their whole manufacturing process and that they just could not afford to do, especially after they decided to compete on price rather than diesign and quality.

Jim