The Firearms Forum banner

H&R 922 cylinder question

21K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  birddogo1e 
#1 ·
Happy Thanksgiving to all,

I purchased what I think is an H&R 922 with a six inch barrel from a dealer more than a month ago. I had never owned or shot a revolver before, but wanted an inexpensive, simple, reliable long barreled .22 for trapping. The dealer promised me that he knew the gun and that it shot fine, etc. I still haven't shot it since I am sure it is unsafe to shoot at this point.

First issue was that the cylinder was loose at full lockup. I traced it to the cylinder stop. I took the gun apart, saw that the stop was badly worn and seemed to have been filed. Checking numrich, I saw that the 922 was supposed to have a one-pin cylinder stop. This one had a mangled 2 pin. I ordered both to be sure, and the one pin fit perfectly.

The barrel and cylinder seem to be new. The cylinder still has burrs at the notches for the cylinder stop. That should have been a tipoff. Also, there is a lot of light (about .050") above and below between the cylinder and the frame, and between the back of the cylinder and the frame. Worst of all, when I tried loading without removing the cylinder, these is no room for the rim of the casing, and therefore the gun cannot be loaded this way. I try to show that in the pics. (I got up early this morning to get to the range, and took the pics with my cellphone when I saw that it was unsafe to fire.)

Because of this, I put a straight stick down the bore, and it stopped when it hit the lip of the cylinder. Since it seems the barrel and cylinder don't line up, it sure looks like the distance from the center of the cylinder to the chambers is too short.

So here is the question: Do I just order a new cylinder for this pistol, or is this not even a 922? It says 922 on the barrel, but it's a new barrel. On the grip portion of the frame below the trigger guard, it is stamped M608XX (XX are two more numbers), so this should be a 1952 revolver in any case.

It took a month just to add this pistol to my carry permit, so I don't want to go through that again. I just want to get this one running right so I can get some trapping in this winter.

Thanks to all for any info on this pistol or dimensions for a correct cylinder for a 922. I have measuring tools and know how to use them. Or perhaps others cannot load their 922's in this manner and everything is OK?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Old man,
Can't help you with any of your other issues, but, I can tell you that you have a model 922.
Also, that is NOT a loading / unloading gate!
The cylinder must be removed to load/unload on the model 922.
The gate is just to visibly check the cylinder I guess.
Pull the pin, remove the cylinder, then insert the pin in the center hole of the cylinder to eject all 9 cartridges at once.
Jim

#4 · (Edited)
My eyes are not what they used to be, but that looks like a six shot cylinder. The "9" in 922 signifies that the revolver is a 9 shot. The cylinder hole spacing is different and the distance of the holes from the edge is different.

(Edited to change "999" to "922". I guess I am sleepy after that big dinner.)

Jim

#6 ·
My eyes are not what they used to be, but that looks like a six shot cylinder. The "9" in 922 signifies that the revolver is a 9 shot. The cylinder hole spacing is different and the distance of the holes from the edge is different.

(Edited to change "999" to "922". I guess I am sleepy after that big dinner.)

Jim
That was my bad photography. It is a 9 shot.

Thanks so much. I was unaware of the numerical model designation. I guess the 22 designates the caliber. Is it true that the 922 should only use long rifle cartridges?i

#7 ·
Old man,
Can't help you with any of your other issues, but, I can tell you that you have a model 922.
Also, that is NOT a loading / unloading gate!
The cylinder must be removed to load/unload on the model 922.
The gate is just to visibly check the cylinder I guess.
Pull the pin, remove the cylinder, then insert the pin in the center hole of the cylinder to eject all 9 cartridges at once.
Jim
Oh! I guess you can't trust youtube.
So maybe it's the correct cylinder. I'll check the center to center distances on Monday. I'll turn down a piece of aluminum to fit in the back of the barrel and use gage blocks between it and the center pin to measure the frame center to center since a caliper won't fit there like it does with a removed cylinder..
Thanks! Things are looking up.

#9 ·
What is the letter prefix of the serial # on your revolver?
I have a manual for a 1950 model 922. I think yours appears to be close to that year of manufacture.
If you send me your email address, I can send you a copy of the manual.
It's pretty basic, but it might tell you a little info you don't know.
Jim

#12 ·
What is the letter prefix of the serial # on your revolver?
I have a manual for a 1950 model 922. I think yours appears to be close to that year of manufacture.
If you send me your email address, I can send you a copy of the manual.
It's pretty basic, but it might tell you a little info you don't know.
Jim
Mine's an M, so should be a 1952. I sent you a private message with my email addy. Thanks.

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm finally back home, having been away all weekend and posting via my cellphone.

I measured the cylinder and frame today. Both showed a .420" bolt circle so I took the revolver to the range. I put about 100 rounds through it (long rifle) and it really is a fun gun to shoot. That is the first time I have ever said that about a gun and I have owned a few. I'm not so sure weapons *should* be fun. But this .22 has very little recoil and a long barrel so popping off 9 shots in a row was just too simple. The barrel stayed cool after 100 rounds and the groupings were tight.

I shot it two handed through the sights, one handed through the sights, one and two handed instinctive, both double and single action.

The trigger locked up halfway once after firing a round when shooting double action. I'm pretty sure it was because the hammer didn't return back to position. It needs to be taken apart, cleaned and checked.

I was surprised at how crisp single action was. Very nice short trigger pull.

The manual helped a lot. It's good to know that this pistol uses .22 short, long and long rifle. It does say that I should be able to load through the view window (at least in the model two years prior) even though I can't. Who knows.

I'm going to try clamping on a cheap laser pointer to the barrel for trapping, leaving enough room to remove the center pin.

I guess future posts on this pistol will be on the .22 rimfire sub-forum.

Thanks again to all for all the help. It was great to finally shoot this piece.

#18 ·
I have a 1951 model 922 ( "L" serial ) and in my manual they call it a "WITNESS PORT".
It states that it is only used for viewing the cartridges in the cylinder.
I tried and cannot load through the witness port on mine.
Thanks. I guess they changed it after 1950.

It's interesting that the guys who show this revolver on youtube say that you can load through the port, but they don't show it. One video shows a guy trying to load that way, but he then gives up and takes out the cylinder!

#19 ·
You'll find that pre-1952 (or there abouts) pieces will have a "loading" gutter milled into the right side of the frame, these can be loaded with cylinder attached. Sometime after that - the gutter disappears and the cut-out in the recoil shield is no longer wide enought to accept a cartridge. This seems to have occured around the time H&R introduced the "ALL-IN-ONE" ejection system for their cylinders.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

#20 ·
You'll find that pre-1952 (or there abouts) pieces will have a "loading" gutter milled into the right side of the frame, these can be loaded with cylinder attached. Sometime after that - the gutter disappears and the cut-out in the recoil shield is no longer wide enought to accept a cartridge. This seems to have occured around the time H&R introduced the "ALL-IN-ONE" ejection system for their cylinders.

View attachment 41534

#22 ·
Jim,
My "K" 922 will not accept a cartridge.
Even though Old man says the manual I sent him says you can load it through the gutter.
Jim
Yup. Page three says, "....Inspection of the cylinder (or loading) through the port on the right can be accomplished as follows..."

Is there a place to get an M922 manual? All I can find is generic and R.

Thanks again james and jim for all the help.

#24 ·
OK, did a little picture research - guns are all packed away, as yet...Looks like 'K' - 1950 - was the year this model received the "All-in-one" ejection system - SO - the side loading option appears to have been eliminated. Check out the pic.
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

#25 · (Edited)
OK, did a little picture research - guns are all packed away, as yet...Looks like 'K' - 1950 - was the year this model received the "All-in-one" ejection system - SO - the side loading option appears to have been eliminated. Check out the pic.
Very nice pic!

Differences I see in my 1952 model (M) are that in mine:

The front sight fin is much longer
Engraving on the barrel is a much smaller font
Pin release lever is flat and rounded, not stepped and rectangular as in your pic. Looks milled in your pic, mine looks stamped.
Trigger is more forward facing and rounded on bottom, yours is more vertical and sharp.
Sear release lever has just the tiniest of horizontal component, about 1/16", whereas yours is a long L shape.

Of course the inspection or loading port is on the far side, so those can't be compared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.