1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H&R 922 Manufacture Date

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by beersville, Feb 8, 2011.

1. beersville

beersville New Member

I have an H&R Arms 922 revolver and am interested in finding the approximate manufacturing date. The serial number is F1894.

Anyone know when it might have been produced?

Thanks very much in advance.
  2. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

F prefix = 1945 manufacture
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Sound like a 1st Model, 5th Variation (1940-47).
    Here's a pic. of what your piece should look like. NOTE - the pic is labeled as a 4th Variation - it was labeled as such before Bill G. made up his mind on variations - always something new came up.
    IMG_1252_3.jpg
  4. wes1379

wes1379 New Member

I also have a H&R 922 revolver with the serial number of E4139. I am wanting to know the year of manufacturing. if anybody could helo me out that would be appreciated.

As i am looking at the H&R 922 5th variation above my post, my H&R 922 has a rounded handle and a shorter barrel.
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

E = 1944

Does your other 922 look like this one?:

IMG_1289_2.jpg
  6. wes1379

wes1379 New Member

This is the image of my H&R 922. i measured the barrel and it is 3 1/2 "

Attached Files:

7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

That one has customized grip panels - non-standard. They look pretty darn good on that piece. There should be a hole about 3/4s of the way down the back strap????

IMG_1248_2.jpg

IMG_1263_2.jpg
  8. wes1379

wes1379 New Member

Yes! there is a whole on the back strap! i am guessing that it is for the origianal grips???
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Wes,
    Yep, that's the ticket. Original grip was held on to grip frame by one screw through the back, threaded into the back strap (the hole you see.) Look at my second pic (original factory one-piece grip for the "Rice" type frame, then compare to the grip panels on your gun - looks to me as though the panels on yours have been modified from the originals. What do you think?

IMG_1248_3.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  10. wes1379

wes1379 New Member

Yes sir!! i had not noticed that until you had said that ( i am new to this gun thing, but loving everythig about it!!!) it looks like they have molded the original down or got a new grip and molded it down to the size it is now. can you tell if it is original or different? it seems to be aq plastic type grip.
  11. wes1379

wes1379 New Member

ohh i had missed you had put what the original grip looked like. would you say that it would be better to find a 'original' type grip or to keep the way it is? if i did want original type grip, are they hard to find?
  12. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

The original brown "plastic" (actually a form of nylon") one piece grip, which was original to that Model and Variation, does show up occassionally on the on-line gun auction sites - you have to be patient and check at least once a week. Sometimes they show up on e-Bay. Search H&R and Harrington & Richardson for grips - and maybe you'll get lucky and find them quickly. If you want it to look original - you'll need to get original an original grip. How does it feel and shoot with whats on it now?
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  13. wes1379

wes1379 New Member

Well sir, we are going squirrel hunting out in the woods tommorow morning and it is going to be on my side! this will be the first time i shoot it and will let you know how it shoots! As for handling, it fits well but having the bigger hands i have seem to be a little small. so i might look for a original grip and place it on there to compare.
    i was curious, are these guns popular and can find them alot, and what are the prices going for them. this was my step great grandmother and wanted no matter what the cost but am curious what they are going for.
  14. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

wes,
    H&R made this model from the mid 1920's up to their close down in 1986. There were two models series and over a dozen variations within those. I'd say close to a million pieces were made during that run, and that it was one of H&Rs most popular .22 rimfire handguns - being a low tech item and therefore a low priced, utility grade gun - NOT saying they were cheaply made - the number still in use testifies to their good manufacture. They show up fairly regularly at auctions and gunshows, etc. Values in excellent condition with box - maybe in the $175 range - typically they sell in $100 to $135 range and average condition is GOOD (about 80 to 85% wear, and strong function).
    Good luck and let us know how you make out.
  15. wes1379

wes1379 New Member

Squirrel and rabit hunting went great, got a couple of both with my Marlin Levermatic. when shooting the 922, it would miss fire and not shoot the bullet not just once, but everytime i would reoload with ammo. is there a picture you have of the hammer pulled back? after examing the hammer, it kinda looks like it might have been chipped at one point and is making it not connect with the bullet right. although this picture of my hammer is not the best, you might be able to tell if that could be the problem.

Attached Files: