H&R 922 Manufacture Date

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by beersville, Feb 8, 2011.

1. wes1379

wes1379 New Member

I cleaned the barrel really good and i got it where all the bullets will sit in it noce and smoothly. i havent got to shot it yet but am anxious to to see how it will work/ hope it works. Thanks for all the help you hve givin me!
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

wes,
    You're welcome, thanks for thanking and keep your fingers crossed. Let us know how you make out!
  3. wes1379

wes1379 New Member

Hey, its been a long time since ive been on here ( almost a year :(....) but i have only shot my h&r 922 once. I cleaned the barrel and the cylinder really good, where all the bullets would smoothly insert into the cylinder and still had the same problem of it mis-firing. after shooting it a while (safely) i did notice the bullets seeming to get harder to insert in the cylinder ( im guessing cause of the heat of the reactions of firing, but didnt know if that is a sign of something or not. reading the previous post that Jim Hauff had put on this thread, could it be the main spring assymbly all messed up? thanks
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

wes,
    That would be my second guess. Check it out. Remove the grips and take out the main spring assembly. Don't forget to cock the hammer and then capture the spring guide rod with a piece of wire or paper clip before you remove it.
  5. august1410

august1410 New Member

Mine is a 1933 as far as I can tell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Serial 163767
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

August1410,

Your 922 has the two piece grip panels on the "old style" square butt. That feature makes it a 3rd Variation made between 1932 and 1937, and the serial number indicates it was made about 2/3s of the way through that range - so it's more likely made a year or so after 1933. You have a very nice condition example.
    I've attached a couple pics for comparison.

IMG_1241_2.jpg

IMG_1248_4.jpg
  7. afwingnut

afwingnut New Member

dear jim, i just got an early 922. is the cylinder supposed to rotate clockwise with the hammer down or is something broken? thanks
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

afwingnut,
    Early ones have no "automatic" cylinder stop. That came later with changes to lock-work, but right now I can't remember when - I believe it was around the mid '30s with the change to the "Rice" type grip.
  9. mjmiller

mjmiller New Member

I recently purchased a 922 h&r was trying to get a little more info on it serial number A5707 any info would great! Thanks mike.
  10. nwff

nwff New Member

Jim,
    I have a 922 serial 125814. The hammer has a piece broken off that held the hammer away from the cylinder. Of course it's missing so I don't know what it looks like to try and repair.
    Do any of your references show a picture of the hammer itself. (Numrich doesn't have any)
    Thanks,
    Bob

I'll send a picture if I can figure out what my URL is...
  11. patrick.k.manning

patrick.k.manning New Member

I have a H&R Model 922 with a Serial number of M681**...Does anyone know the manufacture date and an approx value??? Thanks
  12. .45guy1991

.45guy1991 New Member

Hello, I recently acquired an H&R 922 revolver. Serial number 152306 with wood grips. Grips have the number 96 etched into them. I was wondering what year this revolver was made. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank. you.
  13. 1967scout

1967scout New Member

I just bought a H&R sportsman revolver 22 cal. it is a flip top, 9 shot, one piece wood grips S/N # is D9767 I would like to know if anyone can tell me about when it was made. Thanks, Troy
  14. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

The D indicates manufacturing date was 1943.
  15. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

ampaterry,
    I believe in this case the "D" stands for double action, and it was manufactured between 1932-1933.
    Thanks!
    Old Gun Guy
  16. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I guess I am just getting bad information in these charts I am finding, Old Gun Guy.
    I will bow to your expertise.
  17. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

ampaterry,
    You could possibly be correct that the manufacturing date was 1943, but H&R had very limited production during the war years. In this case, I am assuming that the "D" prefix stands for "double-action" just because of the high probability that it does. Who knows, 1967scout may have a war-time revolver, but it's highly unlikely.
    Thanks!
    Old Gun Guy
  18. K75RT

K75RT New Member

Would you be be able to date my H&R 922 with Serial V216xx
    [​IMG]
    and my H&R 923 Nickel plated with Serial L80xx
    [​IMG]
  19. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

K75RT,
    Your 922 was manufactured in 1958. Your 923 was manufactured in 1951. Nice looking revolvers.
    Old Gun Guy
  20. Mathaisxr7

Mathaisxr7 New Member

Hi folks, I inherited an older model H&R 922 and was wondering if you guys could help get figure out when this was manufactured and any value (strictly for an insurance value as it was my wifes fathers gun and it isn't going anywhere) it's serial # is 144805 on the front of the grip (wooden) and has a fixed brass front sight and does not sport an "automatic lock" on the cylinder. Any help is appreciated :)

Attached Files: