H&R 922 Question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Old Gun Guy, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

I recently picked up this H&R 922, because I'm a sucker for these old revolvers. It has a "J" prefix serial # that puts its year of manufacture as 1949, the last year of the first model. It has a broken cylinder pin as shown in the picture.
    My question is; did any of these first model 922's have grips that looked like this, or did someone go through alot of trouble carving these replacements?
    Thanks in advance!
    Old Gun Guy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

although the one piece plastic grips were standard during 1949 H&R still may have had a supply of the one piece walnut grips that were standard on earlier prewar models. grips could be factory or added later but the "rice frame" on this revolver would accept any of 11 different grip shapes that H&R offered for any of their revolvers with this grip frame.

for your information the last year of the first model was 1952 ("M" letter code).
    bill
  3. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Thanks Bill!
    Old Gun Guy
  4. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Mr. Goforth,
    You stated in your initial response to my post as saying; "for your information the last year of the first model was 1952 ("M" letter code).
    bill)
    The 28th issue of the "Blue Book of Gun Values" lists the year 1950 as the beginning of the second issue 922. Is this an error on their part?
    Old Gun Guy :confused:
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the short answer is yes, but the problem has been corrected. starting with the 29th edition the blue book started using information i furnished them on H&R firearms and the 30th edition has new up dated material on both H&R longarms and all iver johnson firearms. i believe we have most of the bugs out of the information now and any body interested in H&R or iver johnson's should get a 30th edition. in fact if your blue books is 2 or more years old you should get a new one. steve puts out a new edition every year and new information is added yearly.

the 30th edition of the blue book has so much more information on H&R and iver johnson that even the 29th edition is obslete. we physically did not have the time to make all the changes and add all the new material in just one year.
    bill
  6. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Thanks for the info Bill!
    On a follow-up question, does the first model 922 use the same Cylinder-pin (pull pin) as the second model?
    Thanks in advance!
    Old Gun Guy
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the cylinder pins are the same diameter but the type of cylinder pin retainer is different, therefore they are not considered interchangeable.
    bill