H&R 922 Revolver. Any ideas Mr. Hauff?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Shooter91, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Shooter91

Shooter91 New Member

Hello. I'm new to the forum and so far it has been very helpful with finding some info on a few guns I have. Mr. Hauff, I found an older H&R 922 double action revolver today at my gun shop for sale. It's in beautiful shape. No rust or pitting and a perfect bore. Grips look to be brown plastic and checkered with H&R logo on the tops but I'm not sure if they are plastic. It doesn't look to be fired much at all very little if any. The dealer who I buy from said the original owner brought it in. It's also a 9 shooter. The lockup is very tight. There is a mark on the cylinder that says PAT 1904 but I don't think that's how old it is. Any idea? Serial number is J1294. They want $100.00 for it and it seems to be cheap but I'm not sure what the value is on these H&R revolvers. I'm thinking about buying it next week once I turn 21. I have it on hold just in case i want to buy it. It seems like a neat revolver for plinking or small game hunting. Also has an old black holster for it too. Thanks again, Will
  2. dustydog

dustydog New Member

SNAP IT UP,YOUNG MAN!
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would buy it if I were you.
  4. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Seriously,the J letter indicates 1950 manufacture,I think.Been using one of these for years as a potmeat/backpack/rabbit pistol,and they work well .Stick with standard velocity ammo for best accuracy,and the revolver should last long enough for your grandkids to learn on it.
  5. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

"J" prefix is actually 1949 manufacture.
    Good price, especially if it is really that nice.
    $ 150 + is not unusual for a nice 922.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Shooter 91,
    What they said. If it's in the condition you describe and functions properly it's tagged/priced pretty low (on the National Average scale.)
    My suggestions for checking the workings:
    1. Cock the hammer once for each cylinder chamber - make sure the cylinder moves 9 times and the fore-aft end shake is not excessive and the wobble - left to right movement is tight upon lock-up. NOTE: do not dryfire this gun - hold hammer spur with thumb, pull trigger and gently lower the hammer - it will go to rebound position.
    2. Remove the cylinder by pulling the cylinder pin. Then try the trigger action and hammer movement in double action and single action a few times. SA should be around a 4# pull, DA may be as high as 12# - but both should feel solid and have a clean let-off. While testing the SA trigger, with hammer cocked - push forward on the hammer to test lock up on sear - if the hammer falls while doing this - somebody has messed with the sear/hammer notch or it's broken - neither condition is desireable.
    The marking on the cylinder PAT. 1904 is part of what the original stamp was.
    It looks to me that H&R used the same PAT. # stamp for years - gradully wearing down the numbers until only a vestige was left to make the imprint. I can see this degradation occuring when comparing cylinders made in successive years. Eventually H&R stopped using the stamp - probably when it no longer made any imprint at all.
    The mono-grip is made of an aramid Nylon type plastic, used almost exclusively by H&R during a after the WW2 era. Check the pic. below of a 4" bbl example.

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg
  7. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Shooter91, if you want another two cents worth, I would say buy if you like it. I think you would be unlikely to ever find another one at that price, in the condition you describe.

I would not buy as an investment, though. So few people want fixed-sight, pull-pin revolvers any more, it could be very slow to sell. And H&Rs are not as heavily collected as the more expensive makes. At least not until Mr. Hauff gets the book finished! :)
  8. Ken W

Ken W Member

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. In fact if you don't end up getting I'd appreciate if you'd PM my the contact info so I can snag it. I'm sure you'll like it though if you do end up getting it.
  9. Shooter91

Shooter91 New Member

Thank You Lanrezac and Ken W. It's on hold till next week until I turn 21. Might as well buy myself a birthday present. I still have my first 22 revolver that my father taught me with when I was 12. That is an old Ruger 3 screw from 1965 with adjustable sights with the 22 mag cylinder also...love that gun! That gun is the first 22 revolver I learned to shoot with and she keeps on shooting. My dad always taught me to load one chamber and skip one chamber so ya don't shoot your foot off! Hammer down on an empty chamber!!! Then he showed me with his Colt SAA 45 when I was 14. Anyway I also thought the old H&Rs were neat looking and I always wanted a little fixed sight 22 for plinking. I think this may be the one. I will be sure to post pictures when I get it.
  10. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

they are fun guns to shoot! you wont be dissapointed. my grandpa gave me his before he died. they are a riot to shoot.
  11. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Shooter91,
    We need more young people like you to buy and enjoy these older revolvers. They are all a piece of Americana that needs to be preserved and passed down to succeeding generations. Please buy it and enjoy it. BTW, I have never met an H&R revolver that I didn't like!
    Old Gun Guy