H&R 923 How do I remove cylinder?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by lou3469, Aug 15, 2010.

1. lou3469

lou3469 New Member

I have an H&R 923 How do I remove cylinder? it's a 9 shot 22lr I believe but the cylinder has to be removed to load how do I go about doing this.
  2. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

lou3469,
    To remove the cylinder you must depress the small lever in front of the cylinder. This will release the stop from the cylinder pin, and allow you to remove the pin and subsequently the cylinder. Do not force anything, but lube the pin until the cylinder can turn without the pin turning, and then remove by cocking the hammer ever so slightly to let the cylinder drop out of the left side of the frame after removing the pin.
    Old Gun Guy
  3. lou3469

lou3469 New Member

I'm going to have to take a picture to show you because there is no small lever in front of the cylinder
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  4. Monkey Hollow

Monkey Hollow New Member

Lou, welcome to TFF!
    If you don't see anything under the cylinder pin, on some models, you simply pull on the cylinder pin and it will come right out.
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Like Monkey Hollow said, pull out on the cylinder pin, and at the same time, push outward on the cylinder it's self. If there isnt a lever in front of the cylinder, this should solve your problem as far as getting the cylinder swung out.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  6. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Careful,
    If it hasn't been taken apart for awhile, the little ball detent inside may be rusted.
    If it won't come apart, use some wd-40, or break free, or Kroil penetrating oil to loosen it up.
  7. lou3469

lou3469 New Member

Here's a pic it's not that great but as you guys can see this is not a swing out cylinder. There's no lever any where and some how the pin and the cylinder should come off to load and unload.
    [​IMG]
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

AFAIK, that model has a pushbutton cylinder pin catch in the frame in front of the cylinder. I can't see it in the picture, but it should be there and pushing it in (to the right) will allow the cylinder pin to come forward.

Jim
  9. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Some years did not have a push button or lever to release the cylinder pin.
    You simply pulled the cylinder pin straight out.
    The pin was held in place by a ball detent. (think, ratchet and socket)
    If pin won't move, it is probably corroded, rusted, dirty.
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Jamesjo is correct. The picture shows a 2nd Model. It probably has a serial number starting with the letter prefix N, P or Q. The early 2nd models, starting in 1953, did not have a pin latch - they were held in place by the detent as Jamesjo describes and can be identified by the location of a pin located just above the cylinder pin and running from side to side of the frame. Identical to the Model 922. Rust is the probable culprit.
  11. HUGHES

HUGHES New Member

H&R 923 9 SHOT ... FROM WHAT I READ THE ONLY WAY TO LOAD THIS PISTOL IS TO REMOVE THE CYLANDER .. IS THAT CORRECT .. IS THERE AWAY TO KEEP IT SAY HALF COCKED AND LOAD IT WITHOUT RE,OVING THE CYLANDER?

THANKS
  12. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Hughes,
    Welcome to the forum. The conventional way to load and eject is to remove the cylinder from the revolver. You may be able to position the cylinder by pulling the hammer back far enough (not much) to release the cylinder lock bolt - but I'm not sure how easy it would be to poke out the empties and then insert fresh rounds through the rather small cut-out in the right recoil shield - this will be variation dependent.
    Your piece, again depending upon the variation, may have the "All-in-One" ejection system - which will allow simultaneous ejection of all spent rounds, with the cylinder removed. See the pic.

IMG_1325.jpg