H&R 923 spring replacement Q

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by hardknocks!, Apr 26, 2011.

1. hardknocks!

hardknocks! New Member

yesterday at the gun show i spotted a 6" H&R 923 nickle plated. the seller said the old couple he got the gun from had used it for display and 35 yrs ago the owner removed two trigger springs for the purpose of not (having them set) i take this to mean wearing out.
    then very weak springs were installed by the old guy in the 923.
    he had the original springs in a package and gun dealer said they were easy to install? (im thinking why didnt he do the install?)
    i read somewhere the H&R was difficult to work on so i passed on the deal. real clean gun showing 95% and he was asking 135.00$.
    scared off by the spring situation. i looked at schematic online but it just scared me more.
    i am very mechanically inclined but havent messed with guns much.
    is the 2 springs a difficult install? is this a fish tale maybe?
    thanks again.
    Mike B
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

hardknocks!
    Can you provide pics of the 2 springs? I'm sure one will be the main spring assembly - spring/guide rod/bottom frame washer, but don't know what the other will be, unless it's the trigger return spring - and that one can be a bear to install, at least for someone as unhandy as I. Also, how about the serial number - did you get that? $135 bucks for one of that model in excellent condition is a GOOD buy, IMHO!
  3. hardknocks!

hardknocks! New Member

Hello all
    ya know i looked at serial number and thought i would remember the letter but as i have a good memory but its kinda short.
    im thinking it has two letters?
    maybe someone here has done some home smithing on the 922 and will chime in.
    no pics of springs and i didnt want to buy then pay gunsmith to get it going.
    thanks again
    Mike
  4. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

A mechanically inclined person should be able to install the springs. But there are a few tricks to working on these revolvers which you would have to teach yourself along the way. If you consider learning the inns and outs of how a revolver works to be a fun way to pass the time, then you go for it. If it's not your cup of tea then pass it up.

The story the seller told sounds silly to me. I wonder if he's got a used car to sell you that the old couple only used to go to church on sundays? The revolver may have needed alot of work and was a project he could not figure out.
  5. hardknocks!

hardknocks! New Member

Hello
    yes i asked him if its easy to install the springs why didnt he just throw them in.
    he went on to tell me of how you dont find them in this conditon
    and it was the only one i seen that day that didnt function.
    I like to tinker with stuff like this and i actually am very mechanically inclined.
    maybe if i see it next time i will throw out a offer.
    thanks for the reply
    take care
    Mike
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

A pic of a nice condition M923 for those who are curious. This is the Model 922 with a Chrome (early) or Nickel (late) finish.
    IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg
  7. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Jim,
    As usual, SWEET!!!!!!!!!
    Jim
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Thanks Jim!
  9. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I am not a gunsmith but I have worked on many guns including these old H&R's and the like. Like most things they come apart easier than they go back together but if your mechanicaly inclined as you say and have the patience to carefully examin your subject as to gain a full understanding of each parts function before you reasemble, you can do it.
    On a personal note, I have have to say one thing that really gets my goat, on so many otherwise decent fierarms, the first thing I see is dings all over it from some imbecile trying to haphazardly remove and replace the pins. You only get one original finish so consider having the right tools. Here's just a few of the tools in my bag that can be had cheap. This little watch hammer is very light and great for tapping the pins out and it has a plastic head on one side for tapping parts without damaging finishes (found it at Harbor Freight Tools for about 7 bucks). These little screwdriver sets can be found anywhere and I grind the ends off to use them for punches on the different size pins and also as temp pins on reasembly (you can buy cheapo's at the 99cent store). The jewelers magnifine glass was a dollor at the gun show and I can't live without it!
    Well just thought I'd toss that out there for what it's worth.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  10. hardknocks!

hardknocks! New Member

Hello All
    i have plenty of tools and also a jewelers loupe.
    also have much patience having raised 4 children.
    thanks for posting guys.
    regards
    Mike