1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H&R 970 Starter Pistol

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Ken Lynch, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Ken Lynch

Ken Lynch New Member

I have an H&R 970 Starter Pistol. It does not fire all the time. It has been suggested that the main spring retaining rod may be in backwards. How would I go about determining if this is my problem? Here is a picture of my H&R (Black grips).

[​IMG]

If I pull the hammer safety lever behind the trigger and push the hammer forward I am unable to see any gap between the firing pin and the back of the cylinder. Even when the cylinder is held in its furthest forward position. Yet when trying to fire the gun if the cylinder is in its furthest forward position the gun misfires and the shell has little or no indication of being struck. If the cylinder is in the furthest backward position it fires and shell has good strike mark. i.e. point the gun at the ground it does not work and point it straight up and it works.

[​IMG]

I was able to find a picture of another 970 with white grips.

[​IMG]

Notice the subtle differences. Retaining pin for barrel on black grip gun is below barrel while on the white grip gun on top. Large pin that hammer pivots on in black grip gun is a pin while on the white grip gun it is a screw. Shape of the hammer is different between black grip gun and white grip gun. Also note the thickness of the frame flange behind the cylinder. Black grip gun thin, white grip gun thick.

The black grip gun was manufactured in 1970. Because of the screw in the white grip gun I assume that it was manufactured later. Any idea when?
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the ivory colored grip is the earlier model. check the serial number letter code. for some reason the the black grip gun either has to much head space and or the firing pin is too short. you might try a spacer in front of the cylinder this would keep the cylinder futher back in the frame.
    bill
  3. Ken Lynch

Ken Lynch New Member

I was unable to check the serial number of the white grip gun because I do not physically have the gun in my possesion. Found the picture on the internet. I can make black grip gun work by putting a washer in front of the cylinder. However, did not think it came from the factory that way and therefore was looking for the correct solution. Also by adding the washer it seems to add enough friction such that the cylinder does not index properly. That is it does not quite get locked into the next firing position. Both frame and cylinder do not show any ware indications that would account for the slop that exists with the cylinder in the frame on the cylinder pin. I also question if the cylinder pin I have is the correct pin. Note the pin I have is pionted and smaller diameter than that used on the white grip gun. On the black grip gun there is a slight wobbel because the cylinder pin seems to have a little play at the hammer end. This just caused me to create a big problem. I just stuck a non tappered cylinder pin into the frame. I am old an had a brain fart. Need to go see a gun smith to remove the cylinder pin.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the only way to properly determine the problem would be to have the revolver in hand but you could be right about the center pin if it is a smaller diameter it could cause the problem you describe. try a different center pin and see if that helps.
    bill