H&R 999 Double Action Sportsman

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Buford Allen, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

I recently acquired an H&R mod. 999 Double Action Sportsman 9 shot .22 revolver. It's in about 80% condition. It has adjustable sights, a hardwood one piece grip and a break over action. A co-worker said these pistols were made from 1950 to 1985. Mine has an L23xx ser. #. Is there someone who knows the DOM of this pistol and it's approximate value? It's a fairly accurate pistol even though the pivot point of the break over is slightly loose. It also will not lock the cylinder up completely unless you ruggedly cock the hammer or quickly pull the trigger. I know it's probably not worth much but it's cheap to shoot, feels good, and has the look of an old S&W.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well, your co-worker was right. The 999 was made from 1950 to 1985.

I don't know of any internet resource listing the dates of manufacture of H&R firearms. There is a book that might list your DOM, but unfortunately I don't have it. http://www.rayrilingarmsbooks.com/cgi-bin/rrb455.cgi/9971.html

I can help you with the Blue Book value:

H&R Model 999 Sportsman

90% - $140
    80% - $125
    70% - $110
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

buford,
    the actual production date of the model 999 sportsman double action were 1932-1986. the "L" letter code was used in 1951. the model 999 was modernized in 1953 with a slightly different frame and two piece walnut grips. yours is a pre war design which are more sought after by collectors.

the looseness in the hinge sometimes can be corrected by tighting the hinge screw and appling a small amount of loc-tite to it. this may also help with the timing. if the problem with of not locking up correctly contining after tighting the hinge screw you may have to replace the cylinder lever. numrich arms (e-gunparts.com) should have this part. be sure and give them the serial number and letter code so they will know which one to send.
    bill
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The 999 was my first .22 handgun. I really loved that gun. I picked up mine in '62 when I returned from Europe and pretty much wore it out. It was the only thing that didn't make it out of Alaska with me. All the other guns went with me in the cabin of NWO airlines, but the pistol was in a checked bag. At least it was in there when we left Anchorage, but wasn't when we got to Spokane. :(

Pops
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2005
  5. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

Man, that's terrible. I like the one I have and would really hate for it to just come up missing.
  6. tinsoldier

tinsoldier New Member

I've had one of these for a while. I inherited it when my grandfather passed away. However, some time ago, I noticed that the hammer has the tip broken off of it. I've been looking for quite awhile and it seems like it's really hard to get hold of one. So, I've got a couple of questions.

1) Does anyone have any good ideas about where to acquire a hammer?
    2) How hard is it to work on these? I've done some minor work on other guns, but I'd still be considered a novice.
  7. Lazy J

Lazy J New Member

Hello new guy here , Question. Is there a trick to reinstalling the cylinder on the later 999's Cant seem to get the catch and the cylinder to mate up so everything functions properly ? any help

Thanks
    John