1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H&R 999 Plastic Main Spring assembly

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 45flint, Aug 18, 2009.

1. 45flint

45flint New Member

I just purschase a H&R 999 with serial number AX-------. That makes it early 1980s. I was at a gun store today and he told me that these guns have a plastic mainspring part that will break and your toast. He said the early guns in the 50s and early 60's didn't have this issue. From previous posts on this forum I see where I can get a replacement if I ever need it. Are the early 1980s guns as prone to break. Should I buy the part now while it is available?
    Thanks,
    Steve
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I am not familiar with the internals of the 999, or their problems.

I ave consulted a Gun Parts Corp. Catalog. There seems to be an engineering change at AL57489 (1973). The plastic parts mainspring assemblies seem to be before 1974. Your gun is 1981.

I suggest that you remove the grips and look at the mainspring assembly. If you see nothing but metal parts then you likely do not have a potential problem. if you do see plastic you might want to order spare parts.
  3. 45flint

45flint New Member

You are correct I took off the grip and I don't see any plastic.
    Thanks.
    Steve
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I think he was referring to the mainspring guide seat. If I remember right they were plastic and would split in half. You can still get them from Numrich.
  5. gazzmann

gazzmann New Member

6. 45flint

45flint New Member

Yes it is the guide seat. There is a parts diagram on the parts website you show. It looks to me that my 1981 does not have plastic that I can see. The diagram I think shows the newer design and the "insert" shows the plastic assembly. If 1974 is the date of the change you can save $20 by buying a gun after that date. Certainly not a game changer.
    Steve
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

their only like 2 or 3 bucks at Numrich.
  8. 45flint

45flint New Member

It looks like to me to change from plastic you have to buy the whole mainspring assembly at $20 at Numrich. Still not a game breaker. There were posts on this site from guys that did it.
    Steve
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

a ha, gotch. 20.00 still not a bad investment for a spare.